Fun things to do with an old cellphone

proggR

I've had my old phone just sitting in drawers for the past two years. Its still fully functioning and fully capable and if I hadn't graduated to smartphones I'd want this phone (Sony Ericsson w810i). Its a GSM phone with no SIM card in it. I could go get a prepaid SIM for it if need be. Its got a 32MB memory card in it right now but I have a 2GB one around here somewhere. What are some programs I could run on it to add more functionality or hardware/firmware mods I could do to it to have some fun. I'm sure a lot of people have had old phones and either wanted to do something with them or have done something with them. I don't know as much as I'd like about cellphones so I'm not even really sure where to start on it.

Thanks in advance.

I turned an old mobile phone into a remote switching device for a computer ages ago, dial the number and it would turn on the computer...

Did you have someone strapped down next to the computer who answered another phone and switched it on when you called?

I might get one of those for my washing machine and oven.

There are the more fun things to do. Look on YouTube and MySpace and you'll see lots of videos people have made of themselves smashing their old phones up - a bit of a waste but great stress therapy! Or head to Finland and enter the World Mobile Phone throwing Championships. The current title is held by a man in the UK, with a record 95.83 metres.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.