virtual servers temporary url

loquela

Hi there,

how do you set up a virtual host without first having a registered domain name?

I have set up a virtual host on my apache server and I want to check it but my domain name has not resolved yet. How  can I access the server in the meantime?

With some hosting providers when you set up a new hosting account they provide a temprary url like this: 12.345.67.890/domain.com

But this doesn't work on my server.

???

Cheers!

Thanks,

OK, does anyone know how the hosting services provide temporary urls using single ip addresses?

For example, on my shared hosting, I can set up a hosting account using any random domain name -registered or not (I could use your domain name if I wanted) and they would create a domain reference. I would then be able to access the hosting account using a pattern like: 12.345.67.890/yourdonain.com. For example, this is one of my site: https://cser.org.uk/ the temporary address is: http://79.170.40.232/cser.org.uk/

I know they don't use separate ip for every domain reference.

I was wondering if anybody knows how this is achieved.

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.