Looking for imput. Site design infastructure and security questions.

loadobject

Im looking for ideas and input on the given work bellow. any help is great, 4 lines or 4 pages is all appreciated.

To start with i would like to make a few notes before i get to the discussion:

1. I am not 12 and asking how to build a website.

2. I have a degree in psychology, i do not have a COOL idea, i have a business model.

3. I am technologically inclined i will not make your brain hurt just talking to me. Hopefully.

This post is basically to get an idea on what i need and want in the given site. I have a wealth of knowledge in technology but web programing is not a sub category.

First of the site purpose:

1. user input based.

2. input is filed and linked with other user input.

3. input is able to be searched and edited.

4. each input has a variety of sub groups and classifications.

5. the site will eventually be used by a very large community.

The basics is a very large database that will be searched edited and searched again by a "a metric butt load" of people. The idea being gaining information on said items in a timely manner.

The question:

I know basics on web development but what i don't know is what i need.

What type of server would i need, who would you suggest? (all data transfer will be text)

What type of programs need to be running on this server?

What should i have as the core language for this system?

Is there a pre made program set up that is already available for this type of site or would i need to hire someone?

What type of set up would i need if i would want to make my site secure, i would like to be credible. A secure database ... go figure.

What should i do for trauma management. ie attacks breakages and what not.

I know there is a wealth of information online. i read a lot of it. I understood a lot of it. What i did not glean is how everything worked together. Im a diagram kind of guy. Anyways anything you think i might have missed please do tell me.

As for this post being added to freelance. I am a reasonable person. If it turns out you helped me, ill help you. The help is a favor, psychology comes in handy in marketing, its a second opinion from someone who understands people. As well as when i do the work i will come to the most knowledgeable person posting here first. Think of this as a resume for a job. 

Thank you and may your fingers always be light and your keyboard clicky.

is cross posted to freelance (no repsonses yet)

What type of server would i need, who would you suggest? (all data transfer will be text)

If you are looking to host a community website you may be looking at servers. In this case you may want to contact a hosting company to discuss your needs and which solution fits your problem best. Altough you should do fine in the first year with one server.

What type of programs need to be running on this server?

You don't need to worry about this as hosting companies know their craft and they will take care of it.

What should i have as the core language for this system?

Really depends PHP is a good choice Facebook runs on it. They recently release HipHop of which you can benefit once the website and the number of visitors becomes really large.

Is there a pre made program set up that is already available for this type of site or would i need to hire someone?

I still can't really figure out what you actually want to build my current impression leans towards Twitter

What type of set up would i need if i would want to make my site secure, i would like to be credible. A secure database ... go figure.

This is a really broad topic and I strongly advice to use a framework of some sort that is well-tested and uses tried-and-true methods.

What should i do for trauma management. ie attacks breakages and what not.

Trauma Management???

There are a lot of options.

But there always is a best option for a working solution. 

If you are going to build the infrastructure yourself, you should chose the technology you are most familiar with.  Believe it or not, you can do pretty much anything with any language.  (that isn't to say it would be optimized).  What I would do if it were me was get a stable server with RAID going and install CentOS or some variation of Linux that I liked.  This may not be suitable for you if you don't have experience on it.  I think you have the right language chosen for the preprocessor (seeing that you are in a PHP forum).  Who's to say what database technology you are going to use?  That is a big deciding factor for the hardware to chose.

So what I think you need to start with is writing down the interactions from the data store to the end user.  Map what types of "knowledge" is going to get pulled from the data.  If the data tends to be queried significantly more than it is updated, MySQL is the best (free) choice.  If you want to update quickly you need to look into ProgreSQL.

http://www-css.fnal.gov/dsg/external/freeware/mysql-vs-pgsql.html  This should get you started looking into the correct databse.

Hardware:  you probably want to start with small test bed and get a sample of the data on it.  This should be a machine running the operating system that you want, the database you want, the web server you want, an the preprocessor you want.  I am a BIG fan of the LAMP environment and have not run into any project that I couldn't handle.  This would be a great start for you unless you find you are reallying talking in the $50,000 Oracle world.  (that isn't a quote they gave me, but it should give you an idea what kind of capital is required to get a system running with Oracle products.) 

Your security questions are not quite focused.  Don't worry about the security of the database itself.  Security really comes into play when you take the programming and the vulnerabilities opened up by the program itself.  Any commercially viable database has the potential for a secured environment.  Grab some hardware together, load CentOS on it, throw Apache and PHP on to it and curl up with some books and learn it all.  If this isn't you cup of tea, HIRE someone to help.

There are a lot of options.

But there always is a best option for a working solution. 

If you are going to build the infrastructure yourself, you should chose the technology you are most familiar with.  Believe it or not, you can do pretty much anything with any language.  (that isn't to say it would be optimized).  What I would do if it were me was get a stable server with RAID going and install CentOS or some variation of Linux that I liked.  This may not be suitable for you if you don't have experience on it.  I think you have the right language chosen for the preprocessor (seeing that you are in a PHP forum).  Who's to say what database technology you are going to use?  That is a big deciding factor for the hardware to chose.

So what I think you need to start with is writing down the interactions from the data store to the end user.  Map what types of "knowledge" is going to get pulled from the data.  If the data tends to be queried significantly more than it is updated, MySQL is the best (free) choice.  If you want to update quickly you need to look into ProgreSQL.

http://www-css.fnal.gov/dsg/external/freeware/mysql-vs-pgsql.html  This should get you started looking into the correct databse.

Hardware:  you probably want to start with small test bed and get a sample of the data on it.  This should be a machine running the operating system that you want, the database you want, the web server you want, an the preprocessor you want.  I am a BIG fan of the LAMP environment and have not run into any project that I couldn't handle.  This would be a great start for you unless you find you are reallying talking in the $50,000 Oracle world.  (that isn't a quote they gave me, but it should give you an idea what kind of capital is required to get a system running with Oracle products.) 

Your security questions are not quite focused.  Don't worry about the security of the database itself.  Security really comes into play when you take the programming and the vulnerabilities opened up by the program itself.  Any commercially viable database has the potential for a secured environment.  Grab some hardware together, load CentOS on it, throw Apache and PHP on to it and curl up with some books and learn it all.  If this isn't you cup of tea, HIRE someone to help.

thanks for all the help. i will look into what you said and as of now. i think im looking into a personal test server that ill will fiddle with till i go and purchase hosting from 1 and 1.  and the site will be more like wiki but with more specific information on subjects and... its like a facebook and wiki mixed together with a lot more queing than editing.

basically it will have a list of items. and information about each item, the history, different groups its in or has been in. possible other items that are identical to it and so forth. then a section for user input on each item. all information is just going to dispalyed as a history of the item and user input on the item. the input would be a ranking system as well as a note area. this is not an actual listing for something im selling or like a rock or a phone book. just take it as discreetness with a good idea.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.