Getting Started

Dark57

Ok I have been in and out of different coding languages from basic HTML to C++, I'm not looking to seriously program anything hardcore or make it my job but I would like to start learning PHP.

I have done some research and from what I can tell you have to have a web server running to develop with PHP? Right now I only have one computer and I'm unsure of how I could continue using it for regular use, and using it for development.  If this is not the case then how can I begin my adventure into PHP?

I'm currently running Vista, and I would like to know the fastest way to get into casual PHP coding.

From what I can remember it was quite a mission to get php5 working in vista with IIS. My recommendation is to install vmware server, then install debian as a virtual machine having Apache, PHP5 and MySQL installed.

I always use WAMP on a machine where I need a fast install. It installs Apache, PHP, MySQL, and all the other critical components. Enabling/Disabling features is done through the control panel as well, so there in so need to edit the php.ini file, etc manually.

http://www.wampserver.com/en/download.php

As far as actually learning PHP goes, I would look into the tutorials over at w3schools.com.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.