Browser displaying weird characters instead of £ sign.

DanielHardy

I know this is a common problem.

I did also have a problem with the browser adding backslashes around apostrophies, but this was solved by editing the magic quotes setting.

However I am still having trouble adding the £ symbol.

Let me know if you need any code.

Thanks

Where does the £ sign come from? Straight from PHP source code?

If yes, your file's encoding is different from what you specify on in your HTML code.

depending on the editor you use, it should be selectable (the file's encododing)

Do you have a meta entry to set the charset option?

"Simply typed in HTML" how do you mean? Do you use a WYSIWYG editor? If yes, it might have used it's html entity instead of the actual character, to avoid that very problem.

The £ sign is being edited in the browser and saved to a html file (this html file has no html coding, or indeed a charset).

The html files contents are then echoed back onto the screen.

In short, i think it is using its html entity instead, how do i combat this?

The £ sign is being edited in the browser and saved to a html file (this html file has no html coding, or indeed a charset).

The html files contents are then echoed back onto the screen.

In short, i think it is using its html entity instead, how do i combat this?

htmlentities .. May help.

Wherever you are saving this to, if the final output is HTML then it should be converted to a html entity before saving.

£ should be saved as £

You will get issues for instance if you try and save a £ symbol straight into a database table without the correct encoding.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.