Class syllabus thoughts

JD*

Not so much a coding help question, but rather a request for some advise. I've been tapped to develop a course on PHP/MySQL for a community college that I teach at and I wanted to see what the freaks thought about it. It will be a 16 week long class, 4 hours per week.

I'm thinking the whole class will cover the development of a blogging type system, as it will cover basic PHP concepts (using PHP to get and convert dates, do simple themes based on current day/time, includes, etc) and MySQL.

If you could develop a course like this or take a course, what would you like to see included?

form handling, validation, class implementations/OOP, MySQL emphasis.  Project management would be great too.  If you can spend some time teaching people how to manage code, and design their solutions themselves.  The greatest thing you can do is teach conventions and then give them a small piece of the whole and be there to help with their particular implementation.  Encourage partnerships within the class--that will teach them how to work on a PHP team.  Most of all--have a live environment where they can throw their ideas and see it in their own browsers.  Get them excited about the fact that the code is instantaneously active.  Are you an experienced blog coder?  If not, pick something that you can do REALLY well so students can lean on your experience when they have shortcomings.

I wouldn't say I'm experienced to the point of rewriting Wordpress, but the idea was to come up with something modular that they could work on and improve over the 16 weeks. As you said, teaching them about forms (add/modify/delete posts, users, login, etc), creating functions and classes, etc. I've tried, in other web classes, to encourage grouping, but I'll have to see how I can handle that in this one, as it usually backfires (one/two people work and the others sit around).

We're actually going to be getting our own server just for this class, so they will def. have access to a live system (would be pointless otherwise :) ).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.