PHP Frameworks for beginners?

mits

i'm a recent graduate so don't have any experience of php frameworks.

i've heard about the main one's in Zend, Symphony, Cake, CodeIgnitor etc.

But as a complete beginner and novice to frameworks, which one should i go for?

Depends really. Your probably better off just biting the bullet and putting yourself right in the thick of things. Zend is very good, but large and has a fairly steep learning curve. Codeignitor is probably the simplest.

hi guys!!

i too am a recent graduate....and personally i judge myself to be at upper-intermediate level  in php language. my personal goal is to master the php, to know every minute details, well lets say to be a php expert.

i applied for a job and after some screening they took me in. i was pretty happy until my first day at work...they gave me some tutorials on cakephp to start with and i was told to start learning cakephp which they didn't specify intially.

i realise the merits of using a framework but given my level, i really want to hone up my core php skills....i am afraid that using a framework at this level will cause me to  forget the core php (and seniors at my office too have forgotten much about core php).

pls suggest me guys....should i give up the job and join another firm that works on core php or continue with the current one?

pls suggest me guys....should i give up the job and join another firm that works on core php or continue with the current one?

Absolutely do not quit your job just because they're using CakePHP! If you are worried about forgetting details in "core PHP" then there are plenty of hours outside of work (and likely lots inside of work) where you can keep track of, or learn, these "core" ideas.

Out of interest, what you were expecting: everything to be done without a framework or using a homebrewed framework or..?

thanks for your suggestions guys!!

Out of interest, what you were expecting: everything to be done without a framework or using a homebrewed framework or..?

well salathe, i was expecting to work on projects without using any frameworks at all....everything written down from the scratch....

actually my instructor at my college told us that frameworks are for pros which i am yet to be. besides sticking only to a single framework may be harmful to me since other firms use other varieties of frameworks and if i join them start learning all those....

well my office hours are really hefty 9-6.30....wonder if i ever get time to learn the "core"

:-(

and ya my pals are workin on core php....i really envy them

You won't stop using "core" php simply because you use a framework - it's not quite as abstracted as a JS lib like jQuery. You'll still get your hands pretty dirty in the logic/model layers of any application. It should just take the pain out of some fairly standard tasks - view management, database connections, form validation. You may find that you're only really using the MVC setup, and the rest is raw code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.