Would appreciate some functional feedback

Jax2

Hi all.

I would appreciate some feedback on the FUNCTIONALITY of my website (I.e., I know it's ugly, I just want to make sure things work as YOU would expect them to!)

Perhaps upload a recipe with a pic, browse the (few) recipes we have. I'm trying to find out if this was a live website (and had hundreds of recipes on it), things would work as you expect.

If you create an account (which takes about 10 seconds), please use a real email and include the word test in your user name and I'll delete it in a day or 2.

I really need to know if there is something that isn't up to par, something that REALLY annoys you, or something that is really lacking. Any and all suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated! (aside, again, from ones about how horribly ugly it currently is :P)

Thanks in advance!

Here is the URL:

http://www.townsendscripts.com/demos/recipe/

I like the idea of the site.  It may be a little soon to include all the Google Ads.  The site's structure is broken as soon as I visit the page.  I am using Safari for Mac.

The ad structure covers your random recipe at the top, the Google ads on the right are alright.  The search covers the recipe when you view it.

One comment on the site's structure:  When you click the random recipe, it takes you to a recipe where there is a button that says Next or Previous at the top.  Why add this?  How does one decide which recipe is "next".  It just made me think of how one would try and order recipes that while I was looking at a current recipe I could somehow predict what might come next.  Perhaps a category button?  Or a button to the letter section of the recipe?

Just some food for thought, site is coming along great!

@neo, The point of the next button is to see the next randomized entry, That should be obvious.

Anywho, I'd hate to say the pages look great, especially the layout of the recepies (with the instructions and ingredients) with printing as well, But I have an ad blocker on, I don't think it'd look as good if it were off. :P

I am at a loss ...

I have the google ads (which the admin can specify to turn off) set inside the sidebars. I've double checked and they are within the div tags. I did a check at the browser compatibility site and this seems to be an issue with a number of browsers.

I'm not sure how I would go about fixing this :(

Actually, I think I may have fixed it. It seems when I closed a table and started a new one, the web browsers didn't like it for some reason. Now it seems to be showing up as it's supposed to. If you could re-test it for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

instead of random recipe i would put featured recipe, or recipe others enjoyed. to me something like that would make me want to look at it more. random makes me kinda not care. but if i think others liked that, or that someone is recommending... you get the point

everything seems to work fine for me...

windows 7 - chrome

As for the random recipe, thanks for the suggestion. Once there ARE a good amount of recipes on the site, it will have a section below that for "featured" ... it's already there, it's just that it's not shown until some recipes are marked as "featured".

For the ads, to be honest, the only reason I put an ad in the middle there is because google allows up to 3 ads per page. I suppose overkill is an issue though. The other reason is that it is the main place that people look, and with many websites depending on google ads for their income, it helps to have them in very visible locations. Perhaps I could remove the small block ad on the left instead and leave the one in the middle? Would that make it a little less overwhelming?

Thanks for the comments so far, still would appreciate more if anyone has any.

I have cleaned up the site a bit and added a lot more user functions. I've corrected a previous mistake that allowed someone to create a username that was already taken. I've added a control panel for the users themselves (which is still being worked on) and the ability for one user to send a message to another user.

I've also, upon suggestion, altered the way the recipes are shown now. No longer are the ingredients in a 2 column table, rather, they're displayed one after the other, and numbered as well to keep better track.

Due to having both a sidebar on the left as well as on the right, I'm a little cramped for space in the middle, so the recipes are, in some cases, rather long ... not sure what I can do about that without getting rid of one of the side bars. I'd prefer not having to do that, but again, they can't be so narrow as to make them practically useless anyhow.

I'd appreciate some more feedback if anyone has a few minutes to create a user and see what they think of the layouts and menus and such.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.townsendscripts.com/demos/recipe/

It's all one colour really, Why not add some difference to the headers/background/sections? It's like it's all part of the same div, but spaced out left and right, It's not so appealing to look down without much difference between themselves.

I have it currently set that way and I agree. In my admin section, the owner of the script can change all the colors :)

Sidebars, header/footer, and main body can all be changed with 2 clicks... I rather like that feature heh ... Thanks for the feedback.

The general design is alright. For when users log in you should perhaps have a full members list as i couldnt find one. (although perhaps i wasn't looking in the right spot). Also, in the submit recipe section i would suggest adding a code that would append inputs to the end of the ingredients section just incase someone has more ingredients than inputs (unlikely but hey!)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.