how to? selecting multipe rows displaying as checkboxes?

shane85

hey guys

I have a table called host_locations.

in this I have

host_id

location_name

etc etc

now I have a form that what im trying to do is display check boxes from the rows in this table. So for instance, say I had 4 rows in my table

Java Hut

Coffee Bean

Joes Coffee

Franks Coffe

what id like to do is display these items with a checkbox next to them, so that the user in the form can select which location(s) they would like to chose, and then have this info stored into a different table which will be clients. In this table, there is a row called locations which this info needs to be stored in, I guess seperated by - so that I can do an explode statement later on to get the different locations out? My main problem is I also want to display a edit page where it will show the locations with the checkboxes checked off like they submited initially, however if they wish to uncheck one and update it, it will update the db.

sorry for the long post..I posted this a few days ago which is where someone suggested

$checkboxes = array('$check[0]', '$check[1]', '$check[2]', '$check[3]');
// values for your checkboxes
foreach ($checkboxes as $key => $checkbox)
{    echo '<input type="checkbox" id="', $checkbox . $key, '" name="locations[]" value="', $checkbox, '"',
(in_array($checkbox, $check) ? ' checked="checked"' : ''), '>',
'<label for="', $checkbox . $key, '">', $checkbox, '</label>';
}

however this doesnt work. just displays 4 checkboxes with the names $check[0] $check[1] etc beside it

simple as a pie:

$checkboxes = array($check[0], $check[1], $check[2], $check[3]);
// values for your checkboxes
{    echo '<input type="checkbox" id="', $checkbox . $key, '" name="locations[]" value="', $checkbox, '"',
}

hmmm

im using the following code

$checkboxes = array($check[0], $check[1], $check[2], $check[3]);
// values for checkboxes
{    echo '<input type="checkbox" id="', $checkbox . $key, '" name=".$arrEntry[advertising_locations]." value="', $checkbox, '"',
}

and im getting the following to happen/error

Warning: in_array() [function.in-array]: Wrong datatype for second argument in edit_client.php on line 50

line 50 is

and its also displaying 4 chekboxes, with a > before them

and you're all over the place in your question.  I quickly skimmed over your question(?), and this was all that stuck out:

I guess seperated by - so that I can do an explode statement later on to get the different locations out?

that statement is a big no-no.

keep your database normalized meaning: store items like locations in separate table (called locations?), with a relationship back to the user/owner of that location (typically in a users table).

why?  because if you ever want to be able to search for/by location(s), this is the easiest, most efficient method.  otherwise, if you have all your locations in one record>field, you can't really search for the locations now, can you?  try searching for: beverly-hills-new-york-chicago-baltimore-toronto

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.