Help A PHP/C++ developer trapped in a microsoft room...

gwolgamott

I developed recently at the place I was working a webpage intranet system from the ground up using php, javascript and css techniques....

It was liked so well that they stuck me afterward into the offices as a permanent hire, to what was blindly stepping into the world of Microsoft's sharepoint and some community program that connects to it. After spending a couple weeks banging my head against the wall, why is it people pay for overpriced software that doesn't even come close to working as they want and then to make it not look like my 10 year-old nephew made it hand it over to a programmer to fix the nearly unfixable... My hatred of microsoft's (and apple for that matter) is nearly complete these days... does anyone know any places created by real programmers to understand how to hack wss 3.0 to make it well make sense? All sites I find are made by microsoft junkies...

You can get commercial support from Canonical, RedHat and Novell as well...

Unfortunately not my choice, I'm just the programmer-lacky... and sadly the support for MS suites are expensive and not nearly as helpful as with others... well in my experience with Novell at any rate.

Ah yeah sort of figured that anyways. But still just felt like complaining for the hell of it I guess. Not at you I agree with you, but at the situations corporations create by not knowing that it exists elsewhere or not caring perhaps... I don't know... so all I have to say at the moment is Bah-Humbug ha

the situations corporations create by not knowing that it exists elsewhere

It's simply down to whoever sold them their IT infrastructure. They are probably Microsoft partners and have made a nice profit from it.

I used to be a certified Novell administrator but the company I worked for started replacing all client servers using Netware with Windows 2000 Server just for this reason. Netware 5.1 was the better system and its NDS was superior to Active Directory on the Microsoft platform. But hey, that's just the way it goes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.