Slow loading site for some people?

TeddyKiller

It's slow for some users. I contacted the host, they gave me a tool to use for traceroute. Next time an issue pops up, I'll ask the person to traceroute, and give me the results. Take it from there.

Theres a few issues that could be causing the problem, Users computer, or connection between computer and server. So packet loss, which is where the traceroute comes in.

At the moment, one of the people who the site crashed on.. works perfectly fine now. So.. it could be just there ISP too.

It's a paid hosting. So I dont host the site.

If its a table heavy site and it uses one table to enclose the entire page the difference could be perceived as IE will wait for the entire table to fill before it displays where firefox and other browsers will display as it loads.

HTH

Teamatomic

No, it's not a table heavy site. Atleast.. it doesn't come across as that. I have 11 tables, and the table with the most collums, has 15 collums maximum (Haven't counted, but there isn't anymore)

The speed it takes for some people to load the site.. just isn't real. It basically doesn't load at all, and I think it was done on Firefox. I can't duplicate the issue, so.. I'm putting it down to the PC for now..

i have got several sites hosted on HG, and they are fast.

too many factors are in play to give you any reasoning.  as was mentioned, if you executing poor code on heavy database sets, that would be an issue.  maybe you need to fork out the extra dough to upgrade to VPS ('cause if you're on a shared server, which you probably are, you're sharing bandwidth/server resources with a whole bunch of other sites on that server.  and if those sites are poorly written, your site will suffer).

or maybe your internet is just plain ol' slow.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'm a shared server. I'm wanting to go to VPS.. I can afford it, but I've got other things to save up for. After, I will consider VPS. Which would be a 99% Yes.

I understand what your saying with shared servers too. I didn't know this can have an affect though. Maybe this could be 1 reason, ISP for another reason, and the computer for another reason. All bundled together to give 1 massive.. freeze.

Thanks for the replies :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.