PHP vs .Net - which one should I concentrate on?

OM2

Sorry but, no it isn't. It may be to you, but not in the general sense. It is entirely possible being good at your job without making it your entire life.

But it should be something you love. And something you love doesn't just turn off when you clock out. I've done many jobs from construction to retail work, and have been damn good at most of them. But nothing compares to something you are passionate about. Being able to turn a job into more than that is an amazing feeling.

And I do think that saying it is a way of life may be a wee bit overboard, but only if you think of it in the sense of: clock out, race home, program til 3 am, redbull til 4, then repeat. That is obsession. But what is so bad about after dinner, if there is nothing to be done around the house, working on an iphone app, or some encryption function? It is fun (to me), and very rewarding.

Programming is a way of living not a 9-to-5 job.

Really. Do you get paid before 9 and after 5?

No. But I have a passion for programming. You also don't get paid for helping people out here and yet many invest a serious amount of time here.

Sorry but, no it isn't. It may be to you, but not in the general sense. It is entirely possible being good at your job without making it your entire life.

Absolutely. You would not have a life if it was.

Ok, programming is maybe the wrong word. I mean the actual thing you do after the computer screen and reading books, taking trainings, .. Whenever I take a vacation or go to a conference I stock up on books to read during the flight. Some argue that I'm missing the point of taking a vacation while they are reading books on the beach, before they get to bed, ..

if there is nothing to be done around the house, working on an iphone app, or some encryption function?

Exactly. I created a hangman game recently that made me realize that I actually suck in it :) Currently I'm working on a Monopoly game and I'm still not winning.. :D And I'm sure most of the members here spend a serious amount of time developing fun stuff in their spare time for which they won't get paid (~open-source).

programming is kind of a way of life, you have to stay up to date with a lot of different things outside of what you get paid for. if you just program at your job and just drone through things it will be hard to get better. I find that i become a much better programmer when i spend a lot of my free time checking out other peoples code and helping people on this board etc.. you have to love programming in order to sit and do it all day and then go home to learn more about it.

Anyways, I know its been said but Microsoft sucks. i hate that they charge for licenses for programs on 64bit versions of windows now. I hate that they are pushing to have huge cloud computing where we dont even have hardware anymore (dont even get me started on mac). But, it is good to learn .net, at least the basics. I have yet to do this, but i intend to. might as well. One more tool in the box.

Here is the route i took for learning programming

html > C > php > JS

php and js both use c concepts and similar syntax. so they work as a package for me. Next on my plate is java. I wanna learn to make android apps. Money in that as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.