Custom Forum rather than premade?

I'm just wondering.. if your a true PHPFreak and part the team.. why not put all your Freakness into a specially designed forum just for PHPFreaks rather than using a premade forum.

It's just that it may show more devotion to the topic of PHP? As for allowing users to submit more suggestions on the forum and allowing the team to develope it into the forum. Rather than going through SMF?

It's time consuming, but has it ever been thought about?

I'm not really sure who "the team" is right now. :shy:

How does using a popular, long-running piece of forum software shows any sign of a lack of "devotion to the topic of PHP"? If anything it supports the hard work that the SMF developers have put into their product and allows us to embrace open source software!

Bear in mind, though, that if no-one had reinvented the wheel from time to time our cars would still be running on circular discs of granite joined by a log. And while they were improving  the wheel they learned how to make bearings, differentials etc.

I have seriously considered starting a project like this. For example, a forum based on an industry standard(well known and easy to use) framework and a with feature set comparable to most of the more popular forums.

Lets get back on topic.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?action=download;lemma=2162;id=12375;image

This is nice, when will it be changed to this

I agree. I to would like to see some more of those lovely colors around here :) You didn't hear about Web 0.1 it's the latest and greatest you know?

Well.. it's alright I guess.. although I think with this forum, mix and match the colours to match the homepage more? That might look nice :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.