Portfolio??

squiblo

I am searching through websites just looking at how companies employ web developers, using recruitment agencies. And in one of the adverts I noticed the following sentence.

Applicants should be able to demonstrate a portfolio of sites developed with PHP/MySQL.

- How is a portfolio constructed to show the agency or the company recruiting?

- How can you put together a portfolio that can be proven to be your own genuine work?

get a domain and a host (can be had for approx $60/yr). create various examples of your work.

As for proving it is YOUR work, be prepared to submit documentation exhibiting the underlying code (or unique portions thereof) to LEGITIMATE prospective employers.

- How is a portfolio constructed to show the agency or the company recruiting?

A portfolio can be anything from print-outs to an on-line catalog. I usually go for the print-outs.

- How can you put together a portfolio that can be proven to be your own genuine work?

You don't need a certificate that you actually created it. They'll notice when you cheated (during your solicitation meeting or in your first few days of employment). The same happens when a developer interviews a developer, you'll notice when you are talking to an inexperienced person who "stole" code to look good.

I'm not looking for a job as a web developer yet, I am 17 years old and believe I am good at what I can do for my age as I have not had much experience I am interested in web development and want to get a familiar understanding as to how to apply for jobs in maybe about 10 years from now, but at the moment I am dedicated to learning and becoming better at what I love doing.

In a portfolio what certain things will an employer be looking for? If the jobs was for a PHP & MySql programmer?

Some employers demand you possess a ZCE (Zend Certified Engineer) certificate. IMO a wise choice, however not many do. The first company where I started to work for example didn't require a ZCE, IMO they didn't require much of anything at all. All they cared about was to deliver the product, quality was clearly an optional factor and it showed that my colleagues only had a limited knowledge (as in echo, print, open & closing tag) of the PHP manual.

For example, in my first days of employment they demanded my code was reviewed (why? beats me) before I uploaded (SVN was to complex for them) it to the production server (yup, it was that bad). So, when I finished my first task someone came over to review my work and the first thing he asks me is where I declared the functions "realpath" and "pathinfo"? I told him these were build-in to PHP and were always available, next he asks me "what do they do?". I wanted to say lmgtfy.com ;)

What I'm trying to say is that in the webdevelopment industry their are divers companies some set high standards and require a ZCE, some set silly standards like a CS PhD, some set normal standards like a BS, and some set no standards at all :D

My advice? Become a ZCE.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.