HTML Planning. How do you do it?

smashmouth

Was curious how everyone starts a HTML project.

The basics of any project is index, css and outlying pages.

I am wondering if when you start a project, that you build your tables first and then place your information in if that makes any sense.

Funny thing is, CSS was cake

I am wondering if when you start a project, that you build your tables first and then place your information in if that makes any sense.

1) Only use tables for tabular data not to build websites (-> SEMANTICS)

2) Any project starts with PLANNING not hacking away at some code

For more information see:

http://www.idesignstudios.com/blog/web-design/phases-web-design-development-process/

http://webdesignfromscratch.com/design-process/web-design-process.php

I seldom, plan my projects out... though I probably should.  Most f the time, I'll focus on one "feature" or "module"... code it, design it, implement it, etc etc etc... get it perfect.  Then build around it using the first feature's coding style as a template.

One piece at a time, like a puzzle.

I seldom, plan my projects out... though I probably should.

Why don't you? It's so easy, you think about a certain page, start drawing some sketches and as you are drawing new ideas come to mind and you revise until you get no more new ideas. In a few minutes time you created a sketch with refreshing ideas that your client (mostly) loves. It also gives you sometimes idea's for other pages of the project. I bought myself a big sketch-board to hang to the wall. The sketching mostly gets out-of-control by which I waste a lot of paper, that's why I bought the sketch-board to save paper :D

Since, I started sketching I have got some very great response.

When I start a project I usually follow a plan something like this:

1. Draw out a few design sketches on paper/or etch a sketch  :D. I often search/find other websites in the same genre for brainstorming ideas.

2. Start by coding the layout. Also, I used the term layout instead of tables. I think that tables should only be used when necessary or when displaying data. I would recommend using CSS and DIV tags to create the layout when possible.

3. Input the content into the layout diagram.

start drawing some sketches and as you are drawing new ideas come to mind and you revise until you get no more new ideas.

Surely a design should be to speck, you could be there forever otherwise. Same with programming, write tests to spec, once the tests pass, your work is done.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.