$_Post isset but returns no value from form?

webdogjcn

I could just be over looking something incredibly simple here but im processing this form from one page:

<form action="search_classes_process.php" method="post">
<input name="desc" type="hidden" value="number">
Unique KU Class Number: <input type="text" name="classid"><br>
<input type="Submit" value="Search">
</form>

NOTE: the purpose of the hidden input value is because there are several forms on this page all being processed through the same "search_classes_process.php" file. And the hidden value is to identify which form we are processing.

Now on our "search_classes_process.php" file we have:

mysql_select_db($database, $con);
if ($_Post["desc"] == "number")
{
	$query="Select KUclassID from classes where KUclassID='$_Post[number]'";
	if ($query){
		echo" Exists";
	}
	else{
		echo"DNE";
	}
}
else
{
	echo "error";
                echo $_Post["desc"];
}

Now Im not getting any PHP errors or anything. I have tried eliminating all the db checking and gone with simple isset($_Post["desc"]) checks and it isset but if i try echo $_Post["desc"]; I still get nothing.

NOTE: I have tried changing the type of field out of hidden as well

alright thanks i feel really dumb.

One more question...This code is being used to search a database for specific entries so Im using this right now

elseif ($_POST["desc"] == 'info')
{
	$query=mysql_query("SELECT * from classes WHERE Category=$_POST[subject] && Number=$_POST[course]");
	if (mysql_num_rows($query) > 0){
		echo" Entry Found Redirecting to Class Page...";
	}
	else{
		header('Location: http://somesite.com/search_classes.php?error=dne');
	}

I search for values I know exist in the database and it still redirects me. If I eliminate the $_POST[subject] search however, it can find it. I think it has to do with the type of variables in the table. the $_POST[course] is an integer value in the table and I converted it early using

if (isset($_POST["course"])) {$_POST["course"] = intval ($_POST["course"]);}  //converts form value to integer

however the Category field is classified as a VARCHAR string in the table. Could this be the reason why it cannot locate the entry? if so how do I convert a $_POST string to VARCHAR? or am I making another simple error

No, strings in PHP are fine as VARCHARs in MySQL. What you should do is enclose the value in quotes since it is a string and check if you're getting an error with the query. You also never trust user input.

<?php
$q = "SELECT * from classes WHERE Category='" . mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['subject']) . "' && Number=$_POST[course]";
$query = mysql_query($q) or die("Problem with the query: $q<br>" . mysql_error());
?>

Since Number is an integer, it doesn't need to be in quotes.

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.