is there a way to create a jpg of an entire web page?

aebstract

I'm running in to some issues with printing out a page, as it runs in to two pages and spacing of everything gets messed up. I was wondering if there is a way (like how screen capture websites do) to create an image of the entire page for printing purposes. If anyone knows of a way or could point me somewhere that would be great.

Are you wanting to do this as a PHP process for the user to get an image of the page they are viewing? If so, then there are 3rd party application for this. but,they cost money and you would have to have it installed on the server.

If you are wantng this so YOU can print a page you are viewing, then there are utilities for that as well - but this is the wrong forum for such a question.

Yeah, I'm needing it so anyone can print it out on a matched print of the page without any issue. Making an image out of the page seems like the only option right now. I'm trying to figure out any options I may have right now, and figured with gd and imagemagick and all that, that there may be a way to do it with php.

If you want to let visitors print out your web pages in a decent manner then use the print media type.

<link media="print" ..>

I'm in total agreement with igance. Almost no one uses CSS to its true potential. By specifying different style properties for the "print" media type in the CSS you can build the page in such a way that is looks how you want it when displayed in the browser and has a different structure when printed so it fits on the page as needed.

Whenever I travel for work, I always print out the confirmation page at the end of the booking process. But important data is always cut off on the right side of the printed page because the left hand menu on the HTML page is being printed too. There is no reason to include menu's in a printed page and it is VERY easily avoided. There have been several related posts on these forums in the past where I have responded with sample code. If you want to go this route you can do a search of those posts to get an idea on how it can be done.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.