php round help

prakash

Hi,

I had made a php poll script, and I am having an issue on the page where I display the individual options percentage.

I use php round() function and when I count the each option's vote percentage (used round on each options while calculating) I didn't get 100% in total.

Like I have following data:

Opt 1: 425 - 61% (with php round)

Opt 2: 176 - 25%  (with php round)

Opt 3: 92  - 13%  (with php round)

===============

Total: 693  - 99%

So where does 1% goes here?

what will be the correct way to calculate percentage?

There's nothing necessarily wrong with that.. You're rounding, by definition this means it won't be as accurate. Look at the numbers:

1 : 61.3275613..% becomes 61% (loss of .3275613..%)

2 : 25.3968254..% becomes 25% (loss of .3968254..%)

3 : 13.2756133..% becomes 12% (loss of .2756133..%)

If you want it to be more accurate you can have it round to some decimal places. Ex:

echo round(65.34654, 2); // 65.35

There's nothing necessarily wrong with that.. You're rounding, by definition this means it won't be as accurate. Look at the numbers:

1 : 61.3275613..% becomes 61% (loss of .3275613..%)

2 : 25.3968254..% becomes 25% (loss of .3968254..%)

3 : 13.2756133..% becomes 12% (loss of .2756133..%)

If you want it to be more accurate you can have it round to some decimal places. Ex:

echo round(65.34654, 2); // 65.35

isn't it possible using other methods? I don't like to show decimals on percentages.

Round will round up or down depending on the decimal. If you want 100% you can fudge it and if its 99 add 1 to the lowest, if its 101 subtract 1 from the highest.

Teamatomic

I have no plan to display the total percentage. If I display the individual percentage in such way (61%, 25%, 13%) which totals 99% then, the users impression on the system become pretty bad. Isn't it?

Any method that you use to make them seem to come out to 100% would only make things even less accurate and as a result make the system look even worse. Look around to see how other popular applications handle this problem. In most cases I think you'll find that they either show some decimals (SMF polls for example) or just leave it as is, I don't really think it's a big deal.

Any method that you use to make them seem to come out to 100% would only make things even less accurate and as a result make the system look even worse. Look around to see how other popular applications handle this problem. In most cases I think you'll find that they either show some decimals (SMF polls for example) or just leave it as is, I don't really think it's a big deal.

yes we need to make correction customly by getting buffer error and correct it by decreasing that error percentage from one of the options.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.