Why wont this work?

dlouis95

In the script provided, at if($email==$email2), it says it is false when I know it's true. I know that the cookie is the same as the email in the database, yet it sill wont work. I have even echoed the two to see myself if they were the same, and they were, yet it still is saying it's false. Anyone know whats up? Thanks! :)

if(isset($_COOKIE['dan']))

{

$email=$_COOKIE['dan'];

$host = ...;

$username = ...;

$password = ...;

$db_name = ...;

$tbl_name = ...;

mysql_connect("$host", "$username", "$password")or die("cannot connect");

mysql_select_db("$db_name")or die("cannot select DB");

$user=$_GET['username'];

if(mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT username FROM $tbl_name WHERE username = '$user'")))

{

$sql="SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE username='$user'";

$result=mysql_query($sql);

$rows=mysql_fetch_array($result);

$email2=$rows['email']; 

if($email == $email2)

{

?><html>...</html><?

}

else

{

What is this supposed to do? It's only part of a conditional . . . --->  if(mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT username FROM $tbl_name WHERE username = '$user'")))

That's to check if a record exists. I googled a way to do this, this is what it gave me, and it works. 

Check the string length of each item. Maybe there's a space before/after one of the values.

BTW, you really shouldn't use any value gotten from the URL without sanitizing it.

<?php
$user=mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['username']);
?>

Ken

Check the string length of each item. Maybe there's a space before/after one of the values.

BTW, you really shouldn't use any value gotten from the URL without sanitizing it.

<?php
$user=mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['username']);
?>

Ken

Thanks man! Turns out my problem was nothing(space before $email)! Thanks for telling me to sanitize the url value. I haven't gotten to that yet, but have done it for forum entry's.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.