Which version of Linux is best for webhosting server?

shortysbest

I am setting up a webhosting server, primarily just for putting websites that i am currently working on up for clients and whom ever to be able to have access to to look at and all of that good stuff, and i'm wondering if there's a specific version of linux that's better than the other, or if just the latest version out is best. Thanks in advance :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree with them as well. But I would also say that the RedHat Server Enterprise family is a good one to go with in my experience. RHSEL costs $300/year but WhiteBox and CentOS are great derivative distro's built off RHSEL.

At the end of the day the most Linux distributions are using the same Linux kernel and same GNU core software. They tend to differ more in startup scripts, package management software, end user/3rd party bundled software.

So learn your firewall rules, shell scripting, cron (if you haven't already) and most of what you do 'should' be able to move from one linux distro to another with relative ease like theverychap said. File path references are the most minor and frequent change.

Good luck.

I'd agree that the LAMP stack works pretty much on any server and that Centos works pretty well if all you need to do is serve PHP pages. There is one thing that I would say about Centos though. It can be difficult to install software on Centos sometimes because the packages quite often only exist for Fedora and Ubuntu. I have just set up a web application that needed to use a piece of third party software that is not widely available. Installing this software on my Fedora development box was easy but I tried for a whole day to install it on the live Centos server without success. Eventually I gave up and asked the hosting company to set uf a different server with Fedora on it.

I'd agree that the LAMP stack works pretty much on any server and that Centos works pretty well if all you need to do is serve PHP pages. There is one thing that I would say about Centos though. It can be difficult to install software on Centos sometimes because the packages quite often only exist for Fedora and Ubuntu. I have just set up a web application that needed to use a piece of third party software that is not widely available. Installing this software on my Fedora development box was easy but I tried for a whole day to install it on the live Centos server without success. Eventually I gave up and asked the hosting company to set uf a different server with Fedora on it.

Centos and Fedora both use the same package manager and can both install rpm's. Ubuntu uses Debian's package manager and requires deb packages.

If you're just hosting a little home webserver for you and your friends feel free to use LAMP but tighten up your firewall rules to only allow access from specific IP's and deny access from all other IP's by default. (my opinion) The web's a big place and there's a lot of skilled hackers and resource script kiddies out there.

If you're serious about hosting then it's time to get used to custom compiling software. Not always necessary but it will come up often enough to ruin your day if you don't know how to install and update from source. Especially when you need that some custom gadget that doesn't even have an RPM package.

• 3 weeks later...

We here personally use Ubuntu Server for multiple reasons. Low cpu usage (text based), easy to use, Debian based. Highly recommend installing LAMP and webmin as well as locking down your firewall to prevent unauthorized access.

+1 from me.

Very easy to set up.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.