PHP 6 Should I get, Yes or No?

gaogier

Hello

I have a php 3 and php 4 book, which I never really read not alone learnt anything, I only used this to keep my site going, however I am really interested in moving my sites forward further, however I am not sure how. I have been looking for a php 5 book but the book is sold out everywhere.

I am therefore interested in a php 6 book, anyone know if I should get this book or not?

The transition between 2 whole versions takes a very long time so therefore you should be focusing on version 5 (5.2 upwards). There are still many sites running that were written on php 4 that are only just making the upgrade to 5. php 6 will certainly not have a massive feature update on 5 but more of a cleanup and improvement on the existing functions.

There are plenty of php 5 books available on Amazon, however even if you buy a book that has version 6 in the title it is most likely still going to focus on topics that are available in version 5 such as OO. It will probably highlight the differences between version 5 and 6 showing parts of code that may only work on the latter version. If it is a beginners book then I would guess the core will still apply to even version 4.

If you buy a book on PHP 6, you're being scammed. There exists no such thing as PHP 6 right now. These kind of books only exist because there are greedy and/or stupid book publishers that decided it would be a brilliant idea to release books about a development branch without even an alpha release.

I think the publishers just use 6 in the title to make it sound like the book is bang upto date. I've just been looking at a few, and the likes of, 'Beginning PHP 6 & MySQL', type of books have nothing to do with a specific version. As I said the core probably still applies to version 4. It's just a marketing thing, or they resell the same book as last year only with 6 in the title instead of 5.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.