Imagemagick installation

Hi,

Could anyone possibly point me to a proper guide/howto to install imagemagick for PHP.  (for use with PHPthumb and the smarty imagetext plugin) .

I've installed php5-imagick and ImageMagick 6.5.8 ... but the phpThumb demo check page still doesn't "find" ImageMagick

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have restarted the web server multiple times..

I attached 3 screenshots, 1 from phpInfo (which looks fine? ) and another from the phpThumb demo page.

The 3rd one is an example from a page using the smarty imagetext plugin.  (The "About Optimal Energy" is where the imagetext failed.. )

Things that recently change in the hosting environment. :

Whole new server with PHP 5.2.10, etc

Old one had an older version on it, Possibly 5.0.x or 5.1.x

[attachment deleted by admin]

If I go : pecl install imagick

(taken from http://php.net/manual/en/imagick.setup.php)

It gives me...

checking whether to enable the imagick extension... yes, shared
checking whether to enable the imagick GraphicsMagick backend... no
checking ImageMagick MagickWand API configuration program... found in /usr/local/bin/MagickWand-config
checking if ImageMagick version is at least 6.2.4... found version 6.5.8 Q16
checking for MagickWand.h header file... configure: error: Cannot locate header file MagickWand.h
ERROR: `/tmp/pear/temp/imagick/configure --with-imagick' failed

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your imagemagick install. I would suggest its a bug within phpThumb.

But the same phpThumb files was working on a previous server?  (CentOs instead of Ubuntu though, and probably an older php version)

Everything indicates that imagemagick is installed. Have you tried actually using it yourself?

How would I do that?  ( Only thing I want is for Imagetext to work, the smarty plugin. I've never used imagemagick. )

Also, I attached a screenshot of a live server with imagemagick installed properly, i guess.

I don't know if it's imagemagick or GD that smarty imagetext needs to work..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Looking at this image it would appear you need GD not imagemagick.

So then, the "standalone GD library" is the problem?  The fact that it's not using the "embedded GD library" ...

I've read some stuff about that, and apparently it's a problem on Ubuntu servers for it to use the embedded GD library?  Any way to do that?

I'm not an Ubuntu user but I do use Debian allot which is where Ubuntu is derived from. Never had any GD issues here.

Thanks for the help so far!

So theoretically, all I need to install is php5 and php5-gd ?  Because I did that and it doesn't work :-/

What I was referring to is, if you look at the "yellow" GD block in the one check page, and the other "green" block in the other one.  Obviously a difference there.  I read that the embedded GD library has some functions that the other doesn't.  Which might be affecting smarty.imagetext ...

My phpThumb works without errors though....

*sigh*

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.