Crawler (2)

hackalive

Okay so thorpe has locked my post and pointed out it is far too vague. So here I go again.

Firstly I know how to build a basic PHP cURL web page crawler. Now my question is more specific to this, how do I get Site Stats to recognise the crawler as other ones such as Google Bot and MLBot are listed (MLbot http://www.metadatalabs.com/mlbot, so mine would be HackAliveCrawler htpp://mysite.com/hackalivecrawler or similar...). And how do I get it to recognise ROBOTS meta tags, ie NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW, or INDEX, FOLLOW etc and for robots.txt (to do this I need to first part to work, the name set part (eg GoogleBot or MLBot etc). Hope this is less vague and can produce some answers.

Links to tutorials or other forums that will achieve these desired result as well as personal opinion and commernts are most welcome. Many thanks in advance.

Now my question is more specific to this, how do I get Site Stats to recognise the crawler as other ones such as Google Bot and MLBot are listed

The User-Agent directive.

And how do I get it to recognise ROBOTS meta tags, ie NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW, or INDEX, FOLLOW etc and for robots.txt (to do this I need to first part to work, the name set part (eg GoogleBot or MLBot etc).

Upon crawling you check if a robots.txt file exists and adhere to it. You crawl the pages (or pages within directories) which are not blacklisted in the robots.txt file and search for a ROBOTS meta tag. If the robots meta-tag contains you act accordingly.

okay slight problem, this code

<?php
header('User-Agent: HackAliveCrawler http://mysite.com/hackalivecrawler');
echo $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];
?>

returns

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)

not

any reason why?

if I use USER_AGENT and not HTTP_USER_AGENT it returns nothing

thanks once again

I believe that'll be the browser over-writing whatever you send. If you're using cURL to crawl the pages as I mentioned before just send it as a cURL option.

Edit: Should add I'm only speculating about the browser, I'm not fully sure how that part works.

MrAdam

Warning: curl_setopt(): supplied argument is not a valid cURL handle resource

for this code

<?php
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, 'HackAliveCrawler htpp://mysite.com/hackalivecrawler');
echo "|";
echo $_SERVER['USER_AGENT'];
?>

MrAdam

for this code

<?php
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, 'HackAliveCrawler htpp://mysite.com/hackalivecrawler');
echo "|";
?>

You haven't defined $ch.

MrAdam

for this code

<?php
echo "|";
?>

That's not how it works. As thorpe has just replied, you need to define $ch (look at the cURL examples on the manual), but even then it only sets the user agent for the request you're going to make with cURL.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.