Best language for a video game?

merveilles

I'd do it in XNA using C#. Sphere (which someone suggested) is also a great option, and they are apparently upgrading their game engine. When it comes to SNES-esque gameplay I wouldn't use a js/php/mysql environment. It can be done, but I wouldn't describe it as the most appropriate platform, unless you want it to be browser-based, then I'd recommend it over Flash any day.

I'd do it in XNA using C#. Sphere (which someone suggested) is also a great option, and they are apparently upgrading their game engine. When it comes to SNES-esque gameplay I wouldn't use a js/php/mysql environment. It can be done, but I wouldn't describe it as the most appropriate platform, unless you want it to be browser-based, then I'd recommend it over Flash any day.

I want the entire game to play in the browser.. I'm thinking I'm just going to keep going with Javascript/PHP... unless I find a really good reason to switch to Flash.. :)

unless I find a really good reason to switch to Flash.. :)

A good reason not to is the fact that iPhones don't support it. Alot of people use iPhones and would not be able to play your browser game on their device if you created it in Flash, which would diminish the availability  to mobile devices considerably. Don't forget that there are other mobile devices too that would struggle with Flash, so JScript might be a much better choice if mobility is a part of your plan.

I just found this... it's crazy amazing! o_O I definitely think I'm just going to stick with Javascript..

http://benfirshman.com/projects/jsnes/

I got it working in Chrome.. I can see JS browser games becoming a big thing soon.. I should probably really get to work on my game! ^_^;;

A good reason not to is the fact that iPhones don't support it. Alot of people use iPhones and would not be able to play your browser game on their device if you created it in Flash, which would diminish the availability  to mobile devices considerably. Don't forget that there are other mobile devices too that would struggle with Flash, so JScript might be a much better choice if mobility is a part of your plan.

I haven't really thought about mobility much... but it's something I'll consider eventually..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.