Quick Question

N-Bomb(Nerd)

Hello All,

I'm getting a bit tired of constantly having to upload all my files directly to my server when I'm working on a project. I'm looking into setting up a local environment to develop with, however I'm unsure which software to get. I've heard of different packages such as wamp, and xampp to name a few. I'm not looking for my local server to be public in anyway, shape, or form. I'm excessively anal about who, or what has access to my computer. I'm just wanting to setup a secure local developing environment, does anyone have suggestions on how I should go about this?

Thanks,

N-Bomb(Nerd)

When I done this before it took some setting up but:

[*]Downloaded & installed Apache

[*]Downloaded & installed PHP

[*]Downloaded & installed phpMyAdmin & mySQL

[*]Do all the set-up bit to add them all to Apache

Or xampp will work I think, which has it all set up for you.

I think both can be configured to run on the localhost and you can access it via a set up port, e.g. http://localhost:8080

I'm not asking how to setup a local php server, so please take your link and get the heck out of my thread! You need to stop spamming peoples threads with a link to lmgtfy, especially when it holds no significance to the question in-hand. ;D

You are asking how to setup a local server configured to execute php though.

I'm not asking how to setup a local php server, so please take your link and get the heck out of my thread! You need to stop spamming peoples threads with a link to lmgtfy, especially when it holds no significance to the question in-hand. ;D

Not exactly. I was asking about a local server and the security.. as I wanted it to remain only local. Php wasn't even mentioned..  :shrug:

Not exactly. I was asking about a local server and the security.. as I wanted it to remain only local. Php wasn't even mentioned..  :shrug:

On a PHP forum I'd say it's fairly acceptable to presume that by "development" you were meaning PHP ;)

Then why did you post this thread in the PHP Coding Help section? I think that l4nc3r actually did the right thing, as there are hundreds of tutorials on what you wish to do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.