lynda.com tutorial

Hello,

I am stuck with a Lynda.com tutorial:

http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=435

Everything has worked perfectly up until this point. As soon as I add the second function to the functions.php file, it says the variable is undefined.

I copied and rechecked everything the instructor said. This was the one hitch sofar.

function get_all_subjects(){

$query = "SELECT *

FROM subjects

ORDER BY position ASC";

$subject_set = mysql_query($query, $connection);

confirm_query($subject_set);

return $subject_set;

}

This code worked perfectly when it was in the main php file.

When I called the function:

$subject_set = get_all_subjects();

The page no longer worked due to the $subject_set variable not being recognized.

I went over it line by line, checked every iota, and the weird thing is that it worked fine until it was put over into the include file.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Betsy

Would love to help, but unfortunately no account and I am not willing to get a membership.

The main thing that concerns me is what does confirm_query() do? If it does not return the variable as reference then your flaw is that $subject_set is never being set to a value. If it returns an item from the query / updates the subject, then you need to return it. But this is a fair bit of guess work and I do not know what confirm_query does.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.