whats wrong with me?

xcoderx

its been 10moths since i have taken my php, mysql and javascript course which ends soon but im still unable to do anything by myself without seeing books or net? my teacher also starting to get bugged for im unable to do projects he ask of me to do :-( am i too dumb for it or im not putting interest on learning? did you guys learn enough in 10 months? what do you suggest for me? i know how things should go but when asked to do im unable to do it that is the problem im facing. i know where and how things should go but ask to do it practically im unable to :-( help me out with good suggestion guys.

if anyone is up for insulting please make no post for im seeking good suggestion not rudeness or insulting comments.

Dunno what to tell you man...there's a reason why coding is considered an artform.  It's not just about memorizing functions..it's the art of using putting it altogether, or putting on a detective hat to hunt down issues, etc... it's not something anybody can just pick up.  Have to have a certain aptitude for it. 

As for me, I am not some great and genius coder either.  But I'm fairly clever so I get by :/  a lot of it, especially with working with clients involves working on non-coding skills, like having strong communication skills. 

What kind of projects (short description)? What exactly do you have trouble with? If you have trouble figuring out how a certain procedure should run it's best to start with a piece of paper and describe each step until you have all steps covered or you have a very good idea of how it should be made. Something like:

Main Path:

1. Read the XML file

2. Parse the XML source

3. Retrieve one record

4. Store the record in the database

5. Go to 3 until all records are in the database

6. Finished

Alternate Paths:

1.1 Validate the XML file

1.1.1 If the XML file is invalid, show a warning and go to #6

2.1 Validate the record

2.1.1 If the record is invalid, show a warning and go to #3

4.1 If the INSERT failed, show a warning and go to #3

In the main path you assume everything just works nothing wrong happens, in the alternate paths you consider problems and other stuff. This keeps your main path to-the-point.

Also, it's quite possible that you're only working from tutorials and projects from books - They are only really useful for getting a feel of the language, if you make it a habit, you end up only knowing how to do very specific tasks. Once you know syntax and the existence of a bunch of functions (you don't even have to memorize them, just know they're probably there) it is pretty much down to logic. Similarly to what ignace wrote, break you tasks down step by step and solve it one bit at a time.

What do you do outside of class?  How do you study/do homework?  Also, in all seriousness and no offense intended, have you ever been tested for a learning disability?

not tested but i do not understand things at one go im quiet weak and slow when it comes to studying but i got soo much interest in learning how to code a site. after class i come home try to do the work asked by my teacher ask like if he shows me how to work with array the same thing he would ask me to do it in a different way and that is where i get stuck.

he has taught me how to do a login system but now when im asked to do it myself i cannot. im starting to get dishearted man.

What kind of projects (short description)? What exactly do you have trouble with? If you have trouble figuring out how a certain procedure should run it's best to start with a piece of paper and describe each step until you have all steps covered or you have a very good idea of how it should be made. Something like:

Main Path:

1. Read the XML file

2. Parse the XML source

3. Retrieve one record

4. Store the record in the database

5. Go to 3 until all records are in the database

6. Finished

Alternate Paths:

1.1 Validate the XML file

1.1.1 If the XML file is invalid, show a warning and go to #6

2.1 Validate the record

2.1.1 If the record is invalid, show a warning and go to #3

4.1 If the INSERT failed, show a warning and go to #3

In the main path you assume everything just works nothing wrong happens, in the alternate paths you consider problems and other stuff. This keeps your main path to-the-point.

will try goin this way too bro. i hope i can work it out, i get blanked sometimes i have the idea but i do not know where to start. like today i knew how to use while loop to fetch records off db but then i could not do it right way and i had to take help in here as always.

i just want to do everythin without having to look up on books or tutorials or asking someone but its will just not happen

Also, it's quite possible that you're only working from tutorials and projects from books - They are only really useful for getting a feel of the language, if you make it a habit, you end up only knowing how to do very specific tasks.

true bro thats exactly whats happening but thing is even if from text books etc im doin projects but the same thing if asked to do it differently im unable to do it. damn my head hurts lol the course is expensive now almost finishing but im still unable to create a full database driven site. i cannot blame my teacher for he taught how things works but moi the issue who cannot do nothing.

anythin in specific you guys did maybe practice somethings to get perfect? i got the idea wht igance said but if more ways to perfect myself in it would be great.

What do you do outside of class?  How do you study/do homework?  Also, in all seriousness and no offense intended, have you ever been tested for a learning disability?

not tested but i do not understand things at one go im quiet weak and slow when it comes to studying but i got soo much interest in learning how to code a site. after class i come home try to do the work asked by my teacher ask like if he shows me how to work with array the same thing he would ask me to do it in a different way and that is where i get stuck.

he has taught me how to do a login system but now when im asked to do it myself i cannot. im starting to get dishearted man.

It sounds like one of two things is happening -

1. You're not naturally gifted at this.  It's okay, not a lot of people are.  I often have to read, then re-read, then re-re-read, etc. a lot myself before I finally feel like I grasp the idea of a new bit of code.  Discipline and tenacity are really the only ways to get through it.

2. You have a learning disability.

I think you should get tested for it.  If you find that you do have a learning disability, you'll finally understand what is causing your frustration and can be taught ways to mitigate it.  If you don't have one, the person/place testing you could still most likely come up with a way to improve your study habits.  Getting tested is a win-win.

Also, it's quite possible that you're only working from tutorials and projects from books - They are only really useful for getting a feel of the language, if you make it a habit, you end up only knowing how to do very specific tasks.

true bro thats exactly whats happening but thing is even if from text books etc im doin projects but the same thing if asked to do it differently im unable to do it. damn my head hurts lol the course is expensive now almost finishing but im still unable to create a full database driven site. i cannot blame my teacher for he taught how things works but moi the issue who cannot do nothing.

anythin in specific you guys did maybe practice somethings to get perfect? i got the idea wht igance said but if more ways to perfect myself in it would be great.

ask your self if you love programming or you consider your self as programmer if not your wasting your time take another course.

you cant really push your self into something you dont like

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.