Function and mysql not working

Kaboom

I made a function for the emails but it's not working for some reason. I wanted to store my info in a db so the users can set their emails for paypal donations. well I got a problem. I used this code for my function:

<?php

function payments($email)
{
mysql_select_db($dbname, $db_id);
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `config`");
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
  {
  echo $row['paypalemail'];
  }
}
?>

It's connecting because theres no db errors coming up and it loads db from a global.php file but i'm getting:

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/tyler/public_html/iblog/engine/payments.php  on line 5

so "mysql_select_db($dbname, $db_id);" isn't a valid code anymore? all i'm getting is errors

EDIT: if i take $dbname,  off I get no errors but a blank page

The function doesn't have access to the $dbname and $db_id variables, so what the function is getting is: mysql_select_db('', ''). You'd have to pass the db name and credentials to the function as parameters, or use an include()d file. See the manual on Variable Scope

What is the purpose of the ($email) in the function declaration if you never use it in the function?

Im just trying to get the email from the database, it's not done yet. And the main page index.php includes global.php which includes all the other pages needed to run the core files. For some reason (and its including the files..) it won't get the db.

Im just trying to get the email from the database, it's not done yet. And the main page index.php includes global.php which includes all the other pages needed to run the core files. For some reason (and its including the files..) it won't get the db.

A variable defined outside of a function is not available inside the function, and a variable defined inside a function is not available outside the function. Inside the function, $dbname and $db_id have no values.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.