can someone give me tips on how to make my site look less bland

turkman

I don't the problem is the design but it's more a matter of what's the point. Upon visiting your site.. i really have no idea what its for, what the name of the site is, why i need to be looking thru it, or what data i should expect to find. I recommend that you try branding your website and the design will follow. Create a logo, color scheme, banner, a cool title font, etc etc and things should start to come together.

Welcome to Imgboard.co.uk

It appears that you don't have any cookies on your machine. This could mean its either your first visit or cookies are not enabled. Because this is an annon posting board - if you wish to have a posting record or even to use the full features of our site you need to have cookies enabled.

Notice For security reasons we have now made this site available only to those who have cookies. People whithout cookies enabled WILL NOT or should not be able to post If you are seeing this screen it means its either your first visit or you have not got cookies enabled.

How do i access the page If this is your first visit you can simply refresh your page and get into our main settings. If you are still having problems you need to allow cookies on your browser.

:wtf:

I think the first thing you need to concentrate on is developing a system that doesn't pop-up a message like that on the first visit.

First thing I would try and do is instead of opening that "error" message because it is my first visit would be to have the page create a cookie for me and redirect me straight away to where I am meant to be going.  When I saw that and nothing else opened, I was almost tempted to close the web page thinking "oh it's not working"... but then I read on.

I would suggest that if cookies cannot be set, display a notice (possibly in the center of the screen) with some nice large, readable font that clearly states "Cookies are not enabled for your web browser, this website requires cookies to be enabled.".  That way a user knows straight away without reading a small document  ;)

If cookies can be set, it would be set on the first page and then sets header("Location: the_redirected_page.php");.

• 4 weeks later...

First, I would go to a site like the Adobe Kuler site and search for a better color scheme. Next, work on your font with a size of 7.5em or 8.0em, color #444, use a standard font like arial, verdana, tahoma, use a line height of 135% and don't have the text go beyond an average width of 12 words.  Add some background images at header/title areas, use thumbnails to break up content areas and try sporadically dropping in a sentence with brighter color and oversized like 1.3em.

Break up the page with variations and you will notice a big difference!

• 3 weeks later...

If your goal is to make things look good. don't focus too much on php, but started focusing on css. After all if your setting up a nice site you don't use inline style but external css.

Start here for some inspiration m8: http://www.yourinspirationweb.com/en/

Oh and what i could recommend anyone buy a book on how to make nice pictures, national geographic has a few. Making nice pictures isn't all about the right shutter time, but most of it is the composition and lightning.

good luck!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.