I'd like opinions on the overall look

Pikachu2000

I'm not through with the functionality of the site yet, but I'd like to get an idea what you think of the look. It would be helpful if you also have some aviation or flight sim knowledge, as that is the main thrust of the site. In case you don't, but want to try out some of the lookups, (I'd particularly be interested in opinions on my use of the modal windows).

METAR (weather): any valid 4 character airport code (KMIA is Miami, FL). This is fully implemented and is real-time data.

Airport lookup: you can use KDFW (Dallas-Ft. Wort) or KDTW (Detroit Metro). Just a few airports in the DB, basic info only for now.

Navaid/Fix: 'ba' returns a decent set of results. Partially populated, with about 8000 entries.

22Left.iSended.com

I've looked it over on Mac in FF Opera, and Safari, but have no Wind'ohs machine at all, so if something looks off in IE, I'd like to hear about it.

How ironic.. I was thinking of joining a virtual airline the past couple of weeks... even dusted off my saitek x52 pro  :P

Anyway.. I love red and black... but it's not working here. Why not go to United.com or something and lift off of a prototypes website? I think lighter and more inviting colors would be suitable for the page. Also, the images you are using are too dark. If you made that image then once you flatten the layers in photoshop you should go back and redo color correct techniques so that it blends better together. As for the browsing feature... it's neat but i think they are too small.... perhaps they should have a minimum width or something.

Honestly I don't mind the black and red too much but you would probably be better suited to use a gradient for the red (make it look round). You also have some general problems like:

-the bar on the bottom is not a consistent width

-the links look really weird when you hover over them.

I think you should make your background image have curved bottoms, you'd have to look up some css tricks for that but it would be a nice effect.

im using chrome on XP.

What i mean by the nav bar blocks being strange is that, for example this part:

VATSIM: Pilots | ATC | Both 

Pilots has a large potion of black on the left, and Both on the right. You might wanna check that out

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.