Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

michaellunsford

I got some help from the forum? no really! the forum!

I'm sure many of you guys will agree that writing a detailed description of a problem will often present the solution.

Problem: I was trying to create a multipart-alternative email using PHP. The entire email message appears to be correctly formatted, but mail applications would receive an empty message with an attached file called mime-attachment. I've been hacking on this for months without any results.

When pasting the full test email into the forum, the preview feature revealed that there was a weird character   being used in place of a few spaces. I overwrote the spaces and presto -- we have working multipart-alternitive email!

Thank you forum preview!

160 is the ASCII space character with high bit set .... might well have been something from a WYSIWYG editor being too smart for its own good.

The headers and boundaries are coded inside PHP. While exploring the possible problems with the multipart email, I copied and pasted the content-type header and boundaries from a working HTML multipart email. Ha, I guess that's what I get for borrowing bytes from untrusted sources  ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.