Ajax Game - Walking?

MasterK

Hello!

I am really new to Ajax, been reading and playing with some tutorials and what not, But I haven't been able to find what I've been wanting to do.

What I would like to be able to do is basically Walking on a map within the browser. Basically I want to move a little sprite across a image(map) when the arrow keys are pressed, and have certain parts of the image set as collision or un-walkable

I know this can be done, I've seen other Browser based games doing it. Just haven't been able to find any examples/tuts online

Any Sites/Tutorials/Hints/Tips are much appreciated  8)

Thanks in advance

I think you don't know what ajax is (yet). You don't even need it you can do it with javascript alone. You might want to consider using flash instead since it's specifically made for animations.

If you do want to go down the javascript road use a framework such as jQuery, mootools, prototype etc. It will make it a whole lot easier

Ok, I went and Edumacated myself a little, and then started playing with Javascript. and I have gotten what I'm going for.

HERE

But I am stumped on, Borders..? Such as the Trees, Water, Bushes, Edges of the Raised terrain..

How would I make it not possible to move the sprite there?

You could probably define areas in an array, have like a TOP X/Y and a BOTTOM X/Y, and all the tiles between the two are declared as obstructions. Then when moving your sprite make sure that the tile the sprite is going to move on is not in the obstructions array.

add me to MSN I want to discuss me joining this project of yours :)

RussellonMSN@hotmail.com

Are you sure that couldn't have been sent via a PM? Hope your spam box is nice and roomy.

this email is always getting spammed, it makes me feel alive, thank you for the concern though thorpe :) I sent you a PM you never answered that 1 though :)

This is a broad area of expertise. There are many things you must educate yourself on. Collision detection algorithms be one of the important ones. It's a very interesting topic and I wish you luck in your endeavor. I would say that you should research them as they will help you immensely while creating a game.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.