How to make my website run on a non-standard port?

kevk3v

Sorry if this is the wrong section guys please move it to the correct place if this is not the correct place to ask.

I am trying to make a website run on a non-standard port.

Example by default mysite.com should have a port number of 80, so it runs on http://mysite.com:80 how do i make it run on any other port number such as 8080, 9055, 8090 or what ever non standard port i want?

I have seen this on many websites before so it is possible.

Please reply asap.

Can you tell me how to do this on a host like byethost32.com, 000webhost.com or if i cant do it like that, the correct way? thanks...

You'll need a dedicated server or a VPS. No shared host is going configure their web servers to listen on multiple ports for individual customers.

In the apache config there is going to be a

NameVirtualHost *:80

or similar statement.  The vhost section then references this:

servername foo.bar

Typically there's one or 2 NameVirtualHost statements and a whole slew of vhosts that will be using that same ip/port combination.

So if you wanted to have a Vhost on another port, you'd need a NameVirtualHost statement like:

NameVirtualHost *:8080

This could also be used to bind to a particular IP/Port

NameVirtualHost 10.1.1.10:8080

Regardless, you use the appropriate vhost directive, for example with the (all ips on machine, listen on port 8080:

servername host

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.