Compiling Plugins for CKEditor 3.0.x

xangelo

I'm developing a module for the Drupal CMS and part of it requires utilizing CKEditor and inserting a button. I'm not trying to do anything fancy here, just get the button to appear but for the life of me it just refuses to. I've tried multiple methods following various online tutorials and I can't seem to get it to work. I'm not really looking for code, just a method for compiling my custom plugin (located in ckeditor/plugins/helloworld) to work with ckeditor.

Thanks in advance,

Angelo

CKEditor plugins are written in JavaScript and run through a custom compiler that mashes all the code into a single .js file to minimize requests. Each button in CKEditor is (most times) it's own plugin, so it can get pretty hefty.

Please don't respond if you don't understand the question, or at least ask for clarification instead of assuming you are all knowing.

Most javascript developers minify there code, it isn't compiling anything.

Is your question that your not sure what js minifier CKEditor plugins generally use? You won't need to minify your code to get it to work.

BTW, thorpe is our closest thing to all knowing especially in regards to javascript questions.  Getting pissy with him is something I wouldn't recommend unless you don't want his help.

No offense, but your description of your problem is pretty vague.  If what you're saying is that part of your drupal module is emitting a CKEditor plugin, and you need to integrate and repack it, then I assume you read this:  http://www.voofie.com/content/2/ckeditor-plugin-development/

The compiler is either a jar or an exe.  I've never tried to create a plugin for one of these editor packages, but it seems to me to be kind of unreasonable to expect that in a serverside application you will be able to execute from php either an .exe or a .jar, but it appears that is what is required.  That packer is called ckpackager, and while it probably does minify the code, I would assume it's doing some other code generation magic as well since you have to update a bunch of different .js files in the package. 

Sounds like an interesting project -- good luck with it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.