Newbie Question

Jimbeaux

I'm very proficient at html and wanting to grow into php coding.  What are your general thoughts on Drupal vs. Joomla vs. Ruby, etc.  I'm especially interested in having a user friendly control panel for our clients, available plug-ins, and SEO friendly.

Diving straight into applications such as Drupal & Joomla is probably going to be pretty confusing for a newcomer to programming. You'll probably at least want to build a few apps of your own before trying to pull apart and build on top of other peoples code.

While I haven't actually looked at either Drupal or Joomla, I should imagine they are fairly large and complex applications. Drupal isn't really focused on OOP either so I can't imagine it is too well designed.

As for comparing these two to Ruby. Ruby is a programming language, Drupal & Joomla are applications written in PHP. Its apples vs cars. There is no way to compare them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I can tell a bit about joomla, and as a beginner there is not much to code there yourself for most common tasks. But it is nice to check it out, very friendly and you can even make some money along the lines.

But there is a downside:

Diving straight into applications such as Drupal & Joomla is probably going to be pretty confusing for a newcomer to programming. You'll probably at least want to build a few apps of your own before trying to pull apart and build on top of other peoples code.

I totaly agree with thorpe on that. The joomla core is pretty complicated to just dive into, WP is the same story. I would recommend to use it, just to see what it is, But above all try to learn php by building some applications yourself. Visiting this great site and helping others ;) I am still in the progress of that and I can tell you that I wish I were 10 years old again. Loads of time. Nowadays with a job, uni, chicks, and beers it takes alot of time ;)

oh btw, a very fun book to read is "head first Php & Mysql" It's not just an ordinary book, very fun written, with loads of visual stuff ( they say its brain friendly). The downside, but thats with any first print books, a few code examples have minor typo's, but that should only be a problem if you just copy paste instead of learning. I haven't had any problems using the book.

Thanks.  I've figured out that Drupal is out of my league for now.  I'm not sure that Joomla is going to give me the results I want in the long run.  Your advice about just creating something small and building on it is a good idea - thanks.  I'm knee deep into Wordpress and it looks like it has a lot of potential for our objectives . . . . I need more hours in a day! 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.