Moving a lot of files

brianlange

rsync would be better to transfer a large number of files from one server to another.

For example, you can run rsync again, and it will check if any files have been modified (since you started the initial copy) and copy them to the new server.

There are quite a few switches you can use with rsync. I typically use the following on the new server:

rsync -avz user@server:source destination

e.g.

rsync -avz user@oldserver:/home/user /home/

-steve

I have about 6 TB of files I need to move from one server to another. I did my best to move it over FTP like below, but the connection dies a lot, and after a certain amount of progress, it disconnects before it even resumes moving files from I presume taking too long to compare files before actually transferring and then timing out.

~/ncftp-3.2.3/bin/ncftpput -R -z -v -u "user" -p "password" upload.server.net /local/dir/ remote/dir/

I've used rsync. if connection drops it've compare source and destination and sync from where it left (assuming large amount of small to medium files, not 2 x 3 TB :) ).

alternatively start apache and make your file dir root and do recursive wget, might work as well, you just need to tell it to ignore files that already exist locally.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.