Insert a lot into MySQL

NLCJ

Hello,

Users can export information and paste it into a field at my site, this field will be formatted like:

VALUE1,VALUE2,VALUE3,VALUE4

VALUE1,VALUE...

I've gotten an answer on how-to count the lines, and I was thinking about doing it using a for loop, but somewhere in the past week I read something about BULK INSERT. I cannot find this anymore, and Google isn't helping. Does anyone know how to do this? And is it possible to run a check over it then?

Regards,

NLCJ

Not to blatantly advertise my site, but I've found this is fastest way http://blog.cnizz.com/2010/05/31/faster-mass-sql-inserts-with-mysql-and-php/ to perform mass mysql inserts via PHP .

Your other option (and the fastest option that I know of) is to use a mysql dump file and import directly from the MySQL command line or via PHPMyAdmin import tab.  If from the MySQL shell your would just use the syntax below.  Make sure you have first selected the database you want.

mysql > use my_database;
mysql > source /absolute-path/to/file.sql;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.