Just want to learn PHP

DreamerX

Here's what you should learn in addition to PHP:

1. HTML.  PHP is primarily used for websites.  HTML is the language that browsers read to construct and display sites.

2. CSS.  Cascading Style Sheets, which are used in conjunction with HTML.

3. A database of some sort.  MySQL is essentially the default choice.

4. JavaScript.  This is where the web is moving, for better or worse.

5. Object Oriented Programming (OOP).  OOP is a programming methodology, so it's not something tied just to PHP.  Still, it's the industry standard way of programming.

Books on PHP:

Start with: http://www.amazon.com/PHP-World-Wide-Web-Second/dp/0321245652/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284562565&sr=1-2  It's about as good a primer on the language you can find, and it's gentle to absolute beginners.  It talks about the old version of PHP (4), but there's nothing in here that's different than the current version.

Then, go to: http://www.amazon.com/Objects-Patterns-Practice-Experts-Source/dp/143022925X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284562781&sr=1-3  Your primer for both OOP and PHP 5.

This should get you started.

I was trying the video tutorials from SitePoint.com, but they always seem to leave out key information for the noivce/beginner. I want to know how to code from scratch and with best practices., but I always feel that they jump ahead beyond my knowledge level. Should I learn anything else BEFORE I try to learn PHP? Can anyone suggest a good place to go where I can learn the basics?

Thanks!

Lex

Here's what you should learn in addition to PHP:

1. HTML.  PHP is primarily used for websites.  HTML is the language that browsers read to construct and display sites.

2. CSS.  Cascading Style Sheets, which are used in conjunction with HTML.

3. A database of some sort.  MySQL is essentially the default choice.

4. JavaScript.  This is where the web is moving, for better or worse.

5. Object Oriented Programming (OOP).  OOP is a programming methodology, so it's not something tied just to PHP.  Still, it's the industry standard way of programming.

Books on PHP:

Start with: http://www.amazon.com/PHP-World-Wide-Web-Second/dp/0321245652/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284562565&sr=1-2  It's about as good a primer on the language you can find, and it's gentle to absolute beginners.  It talks about the old version of PHP (4), but there's nothing in here that's different than the current version.

Then, go to: http://www.amazon.com/Objects-Patterns-Practice-Experts-Source/dp/143022925X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284562781&sr=1-3  Your primer for both OOP and PHP 5.

This should get you started.

OMG I'm blushing. I totally didn't see that post. ::)

Excellent info thanks..!  >bury head in sand<  :shrug:

I was trying the video tutorials from SitePoint.com, but they always seem to leave out key information for the noivce/beginner. I want to know how to code from scratch and with best practices., but I always feel that they jump ahead beyond my knowledge level. Should I learn anything else BEFORE I try to learn PHP? Can anyone suggest a good place to go where I can learn the basics?

Thanks!

Lex

hey can you please tell me where did you find php tutorial videos on sitepoint?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.