use variable outside of function

frank1002us

i want to use a variable that is created inside of a function in another function

some thing like this

function show_category ($cats, $index, $level)
{
global $categories_use_categories_top_only;
$categories_use_categories_top_only='no';
$catRow = '<tr class="scPL-' . $level . '">' . "\n" . '<th colspan="' . PL_COLCOUNT . '">' . $cats[$index]['categories_name'].'<br><i>'. $categories_use_categories_top_only . '</i><br><i>'. $cat_top . '</i></th>' . "\n" . '</tr>' . "\n";
    return $catRow;
}
function show_product ($cats, $cat_index, $prod_index)
{
global $categories_use_categories_top_only;
  if ($categories_use_categories_top_only=='no' )  { 
     include(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'options.php');
}

i want to use $categories_use_categories_top_only which its value determined in the first function in the second function as i showed. the first function acts correctly

how can i do this?

The way you're using it in the code you pasted is correct.  Is it not acting how you expect it to?

no it is not, i am not getting it in the second function

The variable would need to be a main program (global) variable to get what you are trying to work.

However, if you have variable that has meaning to both functions so that it would normally be shared between those functions, you should be using a class, not functions.

this is a gpl code that i am trying to make it work for me. i really can't write the whole thing.  is there a work around? i appreciate any help you can provide

Someone already posted in this thread what you would need to do -

The variable would need to be a main program (global) variable to get what you are trying to work.

The variable has got to be a global variable to start with for the global keyword to make it available inside of the function.

Variables created inside of a function, unless they are declared as static, are all stack based and are destroyed when the function returns/ends.

PFmabismad, he is declaring it as global within both functions.  So it's a global variable.  I'm guessing the reason it's not working is something to do with the flow of control, but it's difficult to tell with just a program fragment.  And the whole program would be quite large.

Frank, perhaps you can try printing out the value of the variable at different stages in the program, also printing out something to identify what part of the program it's getting printed from.  Then you can see how its value changes during execution.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.