PHP or .Net ?

DreamerX

Hi.

While I am on my way to learn PHP, one of my friends told me you stop what are you going to learn!. She told me that I should pick up ASP.NET and one of .Net languages. I said why! and she said that it's more secure and will have better future!

What do you think?

ASP.NET isn't more secure than PHP.  Web security is 9/10ths how a site is written, not which language was used to write it.  Also, PHP is free and ubiquitous - it's not going anywhere.

The smart thing to do is learn both.  That way you can earn a living regardless of the server side technologies used.

I don't care about jobs. I want to learn one of them to esablish my own freelance service! Which one in this case you recommened?

Even if you freelance there's a good chance you'll be working with existing code at some point.  Also, if a particular area leans towards one or the other, your clients will expect a certain price point and interoperability with other existing systems.  Finally, depending where you live, it may not be feasible for you to live solely on freelance work.  For a lot of devs freelancing is a means of generating extra income, not a career in and of itself.

If you're truly aiming to be self-sufficient, you'll need to understand your local economic environment.

ASP.NET has lots of stuff already built-in for you ... so that can be both helpful and detrimental to your learning ...

For example, ASP.NET has their membership provider so that in a matter of about 10 lines of code, you can have a complete login script done with user roles and everything.

Whereas to do something similar in PHP, you need to do it manually.

~judda

Whereas to do something similar in PHP, you need to do it manually.

Or use a well established framework. That's a difference, .Net is a framework not a language itself.

Exactly.  When people say .NET, they generally mean ASP.NET with either VB (yuck) or C# (yay) as the actual programming language.  For the web itself it's usually ASP.NET MVC 2 with C# and Entity Framework 4.

• 3 months later...

Asp.net development is harder to learn because you have to learn C# , asp.net  . The development of asp.net application  is a lot faster than php ...

if you know how it works

Php is use on 60 - 70 % of websites so if you are going to create a application to be embedded in websites  go for php

Id recommend ASP.net

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.