Access denied for user 'WebUser' - Not a newbie question

BigBill

Hello,

When trying to use mysql_connect to a database that is on a different server than the web server, I get the following error:

"Access denied for user 'WebUser'@'mydomain.com' (using password: YES)"

Here is my code, it's pretty simple and very vanilla:

mysql_connect ("myhost.com","WebUser","password") or die ("Couldn't connect with database!");

I'm not a newbie, and so yes, my username and password are correct. The permissions on the host are currently set to '%', so any IP address should be able to connect. I have tried explicity stating port 3306, and I can assume it is open because otherwise I would receive a timeout message. I can log into the database using the mysql client.

Does anyone have any idea? All I can find on the net are posts from people who have never used a computer before. Even if you don't know, do you know any way that I can get PHP to return an error that is a little more specific???

Sorry, I may have edited what I said a bit to make it more clear. The EXACT output from my web server is:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'WebUser'@'mydomain.com' (using password: YES) in /home/public_html/test2.php on line 2

Couldn't connect with database!

The entire code in the file is:

<?php
mysql_connect ("mydomain.com","WebUser","password") or die ("Couldn't connect with database!");
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.