Allow comments feature

chrules

Hey, i'm working on a CMS

What would be the best way to give a choice to allow comments on their posts/pages?

Kindda like Wordpress, where when you create a post/page you give the user

the opportunity to allow for comments...

I would prefer if it was not a MySQL based solution :/

In advance, thx :P

Hello, "chrules".

When you work on an CMS you really should work with MySQL as your first choice to store information beside.

When you now start to save data into *.txt-files it will occur that you hang up your webspace by fact one "number of files" (when you do not correct the limitation on the *nix-system), fact two "webspace" because all the little *.txt-files with a few Bytes in it are above 1 KiloByte because of their file-start and file-ending which you do not get to see in the FTP-View, but the result could be that 1,000,000 *.txt-files of 200 MegaByte will consume 3-4 GigaByte of webspace.

I hope I could give out a hint that you should start working with MySQL.

On that a CMS is a Content-Management-System. My rememberence does not remind me that WORDPRESS is one, too. In my point of view WORDPRESS is more a WEBLOG (Web-Blog). Anyways! You want to have Stuff-commented, right? Work with MySQL - perhaps start here, it is a great source for: http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_intro.asp

Regards,

MPeter

Thx for your reply,

I have a working commenting feature and all, and wasn't really comparing Wordpress to a CMS, but more just giving an example of the one feature.

I know how to do this with MySQL, and i use MySQL for most of my site already. Was just getting worried that it would be to database reliant.

I was more thinking something in the line of having a .php document with DEFINE = true; statements in. But if MySQL is the best way, then i would just have to go with that then :P

I would create a column in the table that stores the post, and set it to 1 (allow posts) or 0 (don't allow posts). So, when you get the information with the page, you will also get the column with a 1 or 0, and if it is 1 display a comment box and if it is 0 don't display a comment box.

The only other way to do this without mysql is using a flat file database, which is even worse the mysql.

On that a CMS is a Content-Management-System. My rememberence does not remind me that WORDPRESS is one, too. In my point of view WORDPRESS is more a WEBLOG (Web-Blog).

In theory you are very right wordpress is...

WordPress is web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog

But the options are endless, I've used Wordpress to build fairly large websites with a CMS;

WordPress started as just a blogging system, but has evolved to be used as full content management system and so much more...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.