embarrassing question

Rifts

hey guys!

kind of embarrassing question because I feel like I should already know this but here it goes.

Little background... 6 years ago I wanted a new computer so I talked to my friend and he went on newegg and put a hopping cart of parts together for me. I got the parts and he came over and we built it together (the only part I dont really feel confident about is connecting everything to the motherboard) anyway this leaves me to my main question:

I'm trying to build my first computer by myself. I'm buying the parts off newegg, the problem i'm having is how in the world do you know the parts are all compatible? Like mother + CPU + powersupply how do I know what to buy I feel totally overwhelmed. Then also how do I know if itll all even fit in the case?! ahhhhhh lol

Thanks for the help

Everything pretty much revolves around the motherboard first and the power box next.  It's like a jigsaw puzzle, you read the tech specs about xyz item and see what kind of connection it uses, how much power it requires, and make sure the mobo has that connection and your power supply can handle it.  Beyond that...fortunately these days most things are plug n'play or close enough that it's hard to go wrong in finding something that just doesn't work at all. 

If all is said and done and it doesn't fit in the case...not a big deal, cases are relatively cheap, assuming you're not going for some kind of custom casing (think alienware), and depending on what/where you buy, you can always return for a bigger one.

The CPU will show a certain type of socket and power rating. Each motherboard will clearly state what socket(s) they are compatible with.

PSU - typically 600W will do you just fine, unless you want to do hardcore gaming, have dual graphics/overclock... which in this case I don't think you will. I suggest looking into ones that are 80% certified as they [typically] run cooler, quieter and save you energy.

Case - Most mid towers are plenty of room for the average joe, and even most gamers. I have a full ATX tower, but I'm constantly tweaking my hardware, so I like to have the extra space + the extra breathing room for my components.

When you're putting everything together, remember to just take a deep breath and take your time. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.