php page associations

hemjesti

hey there!

i have a quick / silly question - if you're using an application to edit your php files, like say, Notepad++ - is there anything you can do, or add to that application that would show me all the files associated with the current php page i'm editing?

For example, say i'm in main_index.php - and it uses includes for a header and footer and also links to an external style sheet - is there an application or editor that would show me that those three files are affiliated with main_index.php.

I'm asking about this b/c it took me TWO DAYS to find a file associated with my footer so i could change the dang copyright date!

Yes, i'm new to this stuff - but i'm tryin'!!

there are various integrated development environments (IDE's) that will do this. I don't use any of them. I use BBEdit. Whenever I want to find a bit of code and don't know where to start, I perform a text search of all files. For instance, if I was looking for copyright or ©, I would just perform a search for copyright and all files containing that string are listed.

thanks for the reply! ya know, i tried searching a hundred times - and it never returned anything. i downloaded the entire site to my local and was very unsuccessful. frustrated even. i'll look for one of those ide solutions. any suggestions on an application that does this? thanks again!

Hello Hemjesti :)

You may want to look here, it has a comparative list of 7 PHP IDE's, although "slightly" outdated.

Might be useful for you too look at, I couldn't recommend one as I don't use any, I stick with good old basic Notepad, and use my head for everything else...  ::)

Link: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-php-ide/index.html

Regards, Paul.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.