Trouble with changes on server taking effect.

Maquar

Hello everyone,

I'm not exactly sure which part of the forum to post this in but since I "think" my issue may be SQL/PHP related I decided to post it here.

I have been having issue with things "applying". Let me explain. I use the Joomla CMS (by the way this is not a Joomla issue, it is a server issue. I'm using Joomla as an example to explain what is going on). If I go to enter some text into an article and hit "Apply" or "Save" the text automatically disappears. Same thing goes for deleting text. The text will reappear on hitting "apply" or "save". Or even setting something such as Error reporting in the Joomla administration. It is set to "none", if I then change it to "Maximum" and hit Save it automatically reverts back to "None".

For the above changes to actually happen I have to (for example) continually reenter my text and hit apply anywhere up to 20 times.

The same thing happens on form software I am using that has it's own database (not related to Joomla). If I login to the administration area for the forms and wish to change an email address that a form is sent to the email address will automatically revert back to what was originally entered until I save it multiple times.

Both of these applications are database driven.

I have contacted Verio (my hosting provider) and was on the phone with them for a good 4 hours yesterday before they decided to escalate the issue. I let them log in to everything and try what I explained above so that they could see the problem was server related and not 3rd party related. Of course it may take them some time to figure this out so i decided to post here hoping someone would have some ideas that could help troubleshoot this.

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to servers so please if you do decide to share some information, if you could, please explain it with a newbie in mind.

The server is a VPS. Below are the server specifications along with some Joomla information which you can disregard. (this information is from a tool called the Joomla Post Assistant hence why it has some joomla related items).

Thank you very much for any ideas you may have,

Mark

Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.22 Stable [ senu takaa ama woi ] 04-November-2010 18:00 GMT

configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 444 ) | Architecture/Platform: FreeBSD 6.4-RELEASE-p8 ( i386) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.15 (Unix) PHP/5.2.9 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.15 OpenSSL/1.0.0a mod_apreq2-20051231/2.6.0 mod_perl/2.0.3 Perl/v5.8.7  | PHP Version: 5.2.9

PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes

mbstring Support (1.5 or above): Yes | iconv Support (1.5 or above): Yes | save.session_path: Writable |  Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads:  Enabled

MySQL Version: 5.0.24 ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

SEF: Enabled (with ReWrite)  | Legacy Mode: Disabled | FTP Layer: Disabled | htaccess: Implemented

PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)

PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: Yes | Max. Memory: 30M | Max. Upload Size: 100M | Max. Post Size: 64M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0

Disabled Functions:

MySQL Client: 5.0.75 ( latin1 )

Strangely enough I had not tried using a different browser. I am always using FF. I just went and tried it with IE8 and it works as it should. If I go back to FF I have the same issues. I had cleared all cache in FF and still had the same problems. The really strange thing is the verio tech was able to reproduce the issues so now I am really confused.

Mark

Maybe the tech was using Firefox too.

Are you sure that it doesn't store the new information? Perhaps when the page reloads you're seeing old data?

So basically, what if you submit new data, then go back to an index/default/etc. page and click your way back to where you were?

Yes the tech was using FF as well. The issue is resolved. I had input some code to utilize the modules on the VPS (mod_deflate, headers, etc.) into my sites .htaccess file. Removing the code made everything go back to normal. Strange how it effected on FF in this way. Now I just need to figure out the proper code to optimize the performance on the site.

Anyways...thank you for taking the time to post. The thought of using a different browser hadn't even crossed my mind as I was positive it was a server issue. Lesson learned!  8)

Mark

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.