How to find PHP developer job??

jerry98225

I got my job quiet easily, I dropped-out of college and started looking for a job, I was hired on my first interview :) It didn't stop me from looking for other jobs though. OOP and MVC are 2 practices that are emerging in PHP and for your own future self you should start emerging yourself into these practices, having an understanding of what they are and how you write them should be sufficient to land you a job.

You'll need a S.O.L.I.D. understanding to land you some better paid job though ;)

If you know you're stuff you're not going to have a problem finding a j.o.b. However, if you want to work on some 'easy' stuff, consider doing a little freelancing as you can then pick and choose what work you do. That will get you some real world experience but certainly not in the job sense.

One of my friends quit his job to do freelancing full time as the freelancing he did in his spare time was earning him more than his salary for less hours.

Just throwing that out there. You have options.

I just started taking on far larger projects recently and actually hire a few freelancers to help me deal with the workload. The sky really is the limit. The problem is YOU have far more responsibilities, and you have to do project management, business management, accounts, actual programming etc

Hopefully in the future I'll be in a position to move fully into project and business management.

Oh, you might also consider looking for 'junior web developer' positions with startups. If you know html/css well and general web technologies you should fit well with something like that. Don't expect a more senior job until you have some S.O.L.I.D understanding web/html/css/php ;)

In agreement with the posts above me, I'll add...

Having experience at least with managing wordpress/drupal/joomla based websites is a plus. I've seen a few different corporations and once they find one they like, they tend to stick with it. My most recent interview I went on, they use Wordpress as their primary, and never touch the others unless requested. So having experience with it was a huge plus for me and them.

Also, javascript. The use of javascript libraries like jQuery/YUI/Mootools is absolutely booming at this point, and having experience with that, and especially using AJAX through them is a great thing to put on a resume.

Companies like well-rounded web developers, have a solid understanding of HTML/CSS/Javascript as well as PHP/SQL. As for the MVC/OOP bit, I suggest getting a solid understanding of OOP before you go at working with MVC architecture. Starting with Codeigniter would be a best because it's less strict than other frameworks, remember, after you have an understanding of OOP. Most companies also seem to stick to one MVC framework for their custom projects, however I only have experience with small time companies.

Just my 2 cents. Remember, php.net is your friend.

I got my job quiet easily, I dropped-out of college and started looking for a job, I was hired on my first interview :) It didn't stop me from looking for other jobs though. OOP and MVC are 2 practices that are emerging in PHP and for your own future self you should start emerging yourself into these practices, having an understanding of what they are and how you write them should be sufficient to land you a job.

You'll need a S.O.L.I.D. understanding to land you some better paid job though ;)

You should see some of the jobs on offer in melbourne, $80K + new laptop and you can "work" in the inside courtyard. Requirements: Smarty, php 3+ years exp, javascript, jquery, mysql, willingness to teach others - Just basic stuff

Have you tried actually going for one of those jobs though dreamwest? Ive had a few interviews (in Sydney) and have found that around the 80k - 90k mark they start to get pretty tough.

I'm still waiting to see if I can get a third interview in an awesome place I interviewed for before christmas. I'm not overly confident at the moment though, my second interview was like 3 weeks ago and I have since not heard anything.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.