I wonder..

jwilson122

I know I am probably posting this in the wrong place, SORRY! lol Not sure where to post this.. but anyways.

I am wondering if I am approaching coding php the correct way or not.. About how long would YOU put into making a full register script with address yada yada? Like.. It takes me days, but I'm never happy with the way it looks lol Any suggestions or something? lol

Thanks!

It would take me between an hour and a day, depending on the exact spec.

As for suggestions, start with something simpler and build up from there.  Eg start with a script taking one input and displaying it.  Then change it so it stores that one input into the database instead.  Then have it check for duplicates before storing.  Then add a second input item.  Then add the rest of the input items.

It would take me between an hour and a day, depending on the exact spec.

As for suggestions, start with something simpler and build up from there.  Eg start with a script taking one input and displaying it.  Then change it so it stores that one input into the database instead.  Then have it check for duplicates before storing.  Then add a second input item.  Then add the rest of the input items.

hmm k Well, I know php fairly well now.. I use a class like $db->q("yada yada"); etc. But, my main struggle is the security in fields. Such as, sanitizing user input :/ I know how to do like.. if ($_POST['username'] == '') or (empty($_POST['username'])) and I'd make sure that username doesn't already exist.. But its like.. all the things together looks messy to me :/

You can make a function, eg "validate_username()".  Then put all the messiness inside there.  Creating a function (or object, structure, etc etc) to hide the messiness is one of the most effective ways to simplify a program and make it easy to understand and get working properly.

You can make a function, eg "validate_username()".  Then put all the messiness inside there.  Creating a function (or object, structure, etc etc) to hide the messiness is one of the most effective ways to simplify a program and make it easy to understand and get working properly.

So you mean create a function for everything pretty much? lol

like.. validate_username(), validate_email() etc?

Yep, exactly.  Then your main code looks a bit like this:

if (! validate_username($username)) {
  # Validation error, do something here
}
if (! validate_email($email)) {
}

which is much easier to read than

if (empty($email) || !preg_match('|[a-zA-Z0-9]+unreadable*regexp^goes?here|', $email)) {
  # Validation error
}

Then down below you have

function validate_email($email) {
  if (empty($email)) return false;
  if (!preg_match('|messy regexp for email validation, found from google|', $email)) return false;

# Email looks valid
  return true;
}

Yep, exactly.  Then your main code looks a bit like this:

if (! validate_username($username)) {
}
if (! validate_email($email)) {
}

which is much easier to read than

if (empty($email) || !preg_match('|[a-zA-Z0-9]+unreadable*regexp^goes?here|', $email)) {
  # Validation error
}

Then down below you have

function validate_email($email) {
  if (empty($email)) return false;
  if (!preg_match('|messy regexp for email validation, found from google|', $email)) return false;

# Email looks valid
  return true;
}

ah k cool. So question. How would you do errors? I usually just echo then out, create a var like.. $errors = true; under the echo'd message, then do.. if ($errors == false) create user.. yada yada. But I'm sure there are easier better ways..

That's good enough.  I always keep seperation between code and display, so I would store the errors in a variable and then display all of them at once, along with all the other output.  But it's basically the same idea as what you are doing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.