Login script with authentication other than reCaptcha

tommr

Does anyone know of a login script that uses authentication other than reCaptcha.

Visitors to my site are having a real hard time reading the new fangled images that are now a part of reCaptcha.

I only have one page to protect.

Something with a question and answer challenge would be best.

Is the rest of the site your own script?

Question answer would be quite easy to set up, just have a database table with 3 columns,

ID

Question

Answer

Then just check it like you would a username.

You could even just have a field in your login form saying 1 + 1? and then check the user entered 2 when you validate them.

If it's not your own script, can't you still get the old style captcha?

Is the rest of the site your own script?

Question answer would be quite easy to set up, just have a database table with 3 columns,

ID

Question

Answer

Then just check it like you would a username.

You could even just have a field in your login form saying 1 + 1? and then check the user entered 2 when you validate them.

If it's not your own script, can't you still get the old style captcha?

This is the absolute worst kind of form protection to implement. I could break through it in five minutes no matter what the mathematical question is and how random you make it.

I agree that reCaptcha is not the easiest text to read however you do not have to get it 100% correct. It is intelligent enough to know that you are human.

If you do not want to use reCaptcha then implement your own. There are a plethora of captcha classes here:

http://www.phpclasses.org/search.html?words=captcha&x=17&y=9&go_search=1

Are you really that desperate to create a spam bot that can crack it, just to post a few messages that no one reads?

What???

I was looking for tips on where to find a logical captcha to use in my script.

I don't know how that simple request has become convoluted to the point where someone could think anyone is looking to break codes to post spam.

Yikes

Correct. Why would I waste my time, however, if entering data into a form creates an action such as sending an email then it will get abused. If there are areas behind your login script where users can post data to your site then you will have tons of bots posting spam to obtain backlinks for blackhat SEO. It has nothing to do with what people read. This is not the point of spam containing links. Do some homework instead of jumping to conclusions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.