Authentication DB, LDAP, HTTP Advantage and Disadvantage usage.

scrtmtl

Hi,

It has been awhile since I played with relational database. Currently,  I am doing a calendar installation and I got an error 404 whereby I posted in Apache.  While waiting, I am trying to dissect the calendar installation and I am trying to understand something about authentication.

Database

Database Connection String  mysql://root:@localhost/calendar

[/td][td]  It has the format: mysql://user:password@host/databasename as an input field,

Above is my mandatory DB called calendar with root being the user and password being null.

Since it has DB security with user name root and password, why the authentication data entry?  Is authentication mandatory from deducing the authentication data layout? That is, must I select one of the three checkbox? ( Newbie to this installation and documentiation is a joke). Lol, I just realize I did not enteri a user id and maybe thaty is why I am getting that 404 erro.(pre-usage checking requirement nearly non-existent).  I am trying to troubleshoot by having an understanding of my clueness (apache and authentication).

Why is user id required for authentication and how will it be use in the calendar? Will that user id be the admin id for the calendar program? Hmm.  Going back on track to my topic. What is the advantage and disadvantage of each authentication method (DB, LDAP, HTTP)? This is the first time I have come across an installation whereby  authentication  data required and I do not know why or how it will be use in the calendar program. (Different users can enter information into the calendar). Any help in understanding with educated guesses appreciated for it is an unsupported product.  Tx for taking the time to read my post and to share your understanding.

Authentication:

User ID Regular Expression:

/^[A-Za-z][\._A-Za-z0-9\-\\]{1,49}$/.

This regular expression defines what is considered a valid user-ID.

Database Authentication: Yes checkbox

Authenticate users against the database.

If enabled, this is always performed before any other authentication.

LDAP Authentication:  Yes checkbox

Authenticate users against a LDAP server.

If enabled, HTTP authenticate will be ignored.

HTTP Authentication:  Yes checkbox

Authenticate users by sending an HTTP request to a server..

A HTTP status code of 200 will authorize the user. Otherwise, they will not be authorized.

If LDAP authentication is enabled, this will be ignored.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.