PHP & Mysql For Dummies By Janet Valade

jamesjmann

I got this book at the library and thought it might be useful. I'm no expert in PHP, but this book's for dummies, right? Well, not exactly...or maybe at least not for someone who has limited knowlege of PHP.

I perused through it and found several very useful applications that I am interested in using on my site, but the problem is, I can't integrate any of them into my existing site. The scripts are "stand-alone", i.e., they function outside of your website template.  There six in total, but only three of which I'll state here: Login system, Content Management System (CMS), and Forum.

I want all of these for my site, but can't figure out how to integrate them into my existing website template. There are no instructions on such a procedure in the book or on the CD, nor in the help files located in the script folders provided by the CD.

How can I integrate these scripts into my existing template?

How can I combine the login system with both the forum and the CMS?

The problem lies int he fact that these 'for dummies' books don't go into enough detail about how things work. If you where more competent with the language you wouldn't have any trouble implementing most any script, in fact, you would likely find it easy to write your own scripts instead.

There are no shortcuts when it comes to learning a new language I'm afraid. If it's something you want to do, you'll just need to invest more time, and have a bit of patience.

The problem lies int he fact that these 'for dummies' books don't go into enough detail about how things work. If you where more competent with the language you wouldn't have any trouble implementing most any script, in fact, you would likely find it easy to write your own scripts instead.

There are no shortcuts when it comes to learning a new language I'm afraid. If it's something you want to do, you'll just need to invest more time, and have a bit of patience.

True, it's just I'm so anxious to get my scripts up and running on my website, and I don't exactly have unlimited time.

But I'm just going to abandon the book and write the codes from scratch myself. Perhaps I can understand the code better that way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.